Storyist Forums

Customizing the extended keyboard?

warrenao

Howdy, all. I'm still noodling about with Storyist, having been drawn to it because I like the idea of retaining my formatting across platforms (Mac / iOS) and having the hierarchical structure that lets me organize my work by chapters and sections in a way a linear text editor does not.

So my question. On the iPad, the keyboard has that row of extended keys - cursor motion, single and double quote, etc. What I'd like to know is if I can customize those keys and, if so, how. For instance I'd like to have a typographical open and close quote option (specifying and as custom-set keys in the extended area, rather than leaving it as "), easier access to other buried keys (such as the em dash and ellipsis), and so on.

Is this an option for Storyist on iOS currently?

Hello again!

Mostly I'd like to be able to set a few keys of my own. Em dash, ellipsis, and typographer's open/close quotes are the most useful to me, since all of those keys are buried under multiple strokes in the iOS keyboard, and I prefer to be able to add them myself, directly, rather than rely on software to interpolate it for me. A typographer's apostrophe would also be groovy, as would easier access to asterisk and bullet characters.

I'm thinking if there were a way to let users set their preferred extended keys, it would be more flexible for all users, not just those of us who obsess on typography. As you've surely noted by now that I do…

A third-party iOS app that does this now is 'Notebooks', which has some of the features that Storyist does, but lacks any of the finesse or formatted rendering options. They've set up their extended keys to be a separate function apart from the iOS standard keyboard; I notice that in Storyist it appears to be an extension of the system keyboard. Don't know if that makes any difference or not.

Thanks again, and have a great new year!

I second this request. It would be very useful to either have curly quotes as the default or to be able to substitute them on the extended keyboard. One-tap em- and en-dashes and ellipses would also make the extended keyboard much more useful.

Happy 2014, everyone!

M

• 3 weeks later...

I second this request. It would be very useful to either have curly quotes as the default or to be able to substitute them on the extended keyboard. One-tap em- and en-dashes and ellipses would also make the extended keyboard much more useful.

Happy 2014, everyone!

M

I agree - either that of have Storyist on the Mac auto-convert straight quotes to curly quotes... would save me a bit of time :)

• 2 months later...

If you hold down the key, you get access to the extras, including ellipses and dashes, so that one is pretty much built in - I'd advocate against a three-dash keyboard for practical reasons.

Archived