Storyist Forums

ePub warning when exporting

gingerh

I exported my manuscript into ePub format and naturally it came back with a warning. After looking all over the Internet for help, I think I've figured out where the issue lies. Since I'm not at all knowledgeable in HTML or CSS or any other techy stuff, I'm wondering if I did something in the manuscript that needs to be corrected rather than trying to tinker with the HTML.

From what I've gleaned in my research, the id in the ncx (which is what??) doesn't match with opf id. Of course, there may be something else awry, but since I don't read HTML (seriously thinking I need a class in this stuff!!), I don't know. Here's the end of the warning message:

toc.ncx: meta@dtb:uid content 'D14C1315-B91B-4863-93C9-759749D4144D' should conform to unique-identifier in content.opf: 'urn:uuid:D14C1315-B91B-4863-93C9-759749D4144D'

Any suggestions as to how to avoid this issue since I have several project lined up for ePub formatting, would be greatly appreciated!
thanks,
ginger

I don't think I can help, but what's the content of your book? Is it simply text or do you have other things in there which may be confusing the ePub formatter?

I have three different manuscripts I'm working on that I publish in ePub for my reviewers every week or so. I've not seen any issues like this.

Thank you for responding! It's a collection of 21 essays, no art except the cover image. I'm doing the iBooks version first b/c I use a Mac and can preview the epub on my laptop since Mavericks added that capability. And of course, the epub looks great on iBooks, but I figure the error message means iTunes Producer will kick it back.

The essays are under the manuscripts menu. There's a cover image in images and 6 separate notebook entries for copyright, title page, etc. I did that because one of the forum discussions suggested using notebook entries which can be selected and positioned when generating the ePub. They should not affect the TOC but I'm an Apple user and not PC or HTML trained!!

With the first attempt, I had the intro and thank you in the manuscript menu list with the essays. In the false hope they were part of the problem, I moved them to notebook entries since the essays titles form the TOC. I regenerated an ePub. Ran the check and got basically the same error but with new numbers.

Does that help?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

• 3 weeks later...

For any interested party, I found a way to get an error free epub check. I didn't use the latest version of epubchecker.

Repeated visits to the download page made me aware that there are a lot of updates going on. When I used the 3.2 version, I got an error message. When I ran the same Storyist generated ePub through version 3.0, it came out error free.

On the chance the ePub was error free, I submitted it to Apple, B&N and Kobo. B&n and Kobo have put the ePub into their bookstore, still waiting on Apple.

I found that sticking to the basics as far as style with Storyist and using the older epubchecker gave me a good ePub verson.

gingerh

Archived