Storyist Forums

OSA support

codemer

Since I don't think I give Steve enough challenges, I'd like to revisit the API support with an Applish solution. Warning: Technical Content.

Apple supports the Open Scripting Architecture (OSA) in all their apps. I occasionally play with the rubyosa module for Ruby to control iTunes, and I know you can control things like Safari and Address Book too.

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/C.../reference.html

If you could provide OSA access to things like search&replace, and some simple query and editing functionality, anyone who feels so inclined could use any OSA enabled scripting language to interface with Storyist. I would finally be able to merge my smurf translator directly into Storyist!

Reasonable?

IF

Your Smurf translator would certainly be a welcome addition to any text software.

Now if only we could look at your other API comments but, alas, Invision Zone's search engine won't accept TLAs or even TLWs. (I don't think it indexes anything under 4 characters long. B-trees can be such a bother.)

Mean ol' search engine.

-Thoth.

Your Smurf translator would certainly be a welcome addition to any text software.

Now if only we could look at your other API comments but, alas, Invision Zone's search engine won't accept TLAs or even TLWs. (I don't think it indexes anything under 4 characters long. B-trees can be such a bother.)

Mean ol' search engine.

-Thoth.

:huh::lol::huh: **hair-tearing noises**

Duck!! Evil Alien Overmuffins incoming!

Don't you guys have stories to write? :)

M

Don't you guys have stories to write? :huh:

It's funny you should mention that. I get torn between writing software and writing stories. It's too easy to play. Writing programs can be just as addictive as playing with Legos.

IF

Since I don't think I give Steve enough challenges, I'd like to revisit the API support with an Applish solution. Warning: Technical Content.

Apple supports the Open Scripting Architecture (OSA) in all their apps. I occasionally play with the rubyosa module for Ruby to control iTunes, and I know you can control things like Safari and Address Book too.

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/C.../reference.html

If you could provide OSA access to things like search&replace, and some simple query and editing functionality, anyone who feels so inclined could use any OSA enabled scripting language to interface with Storyist. I would finally be able to merge my smurf translator directly into Storyist!

Reasonable?

IF

Reasonable.

-Steve

• 4 months later...
Version 1.4 provides a plugin API for individual files (and I've finally provided some more detail on the open standards used in the file format).

OSA (scripting bridge) support is on deck.

-Steve

I like your plug-in support page on Storyist.com. This sets a good precedent but don't you think there should be some reference in the Help File?

-Thoth.

Archived