Storyist Forums

Using your iPhone/iPod Touch as a Book Reader

codemer

As soon as I found out there's a way to read PDF files on offline on my iPod Touch, I rushed to my computer to try it.

There is a small utility that you can download that can convert image and document files to Safari bookmarks (the data is actually stored in the bookmark, so you can view it offline).

Start by downloading Filemark Maker: http://www.insanelygreattees.com/news/?p=51

Unzip the file and copy it to your Applications folder.

Now, print your book to a PDF file. Drag this PDF file to the FilemarkMaker icon. This will open Safari with instructions to create the bookmark.

Next, in iTunes, make sure your iPhone/iPod Touch (iToy) is configured to sync Safari bookmarks and run a sync.

Now you should be able to go into Safari on your iToy, go to bookmarks, and select the PDF file you just added (it will probably be under Bookmark Bar by default).

With the rotate to wide-screen and zoom feature on the iPod Touch's high quality screen, I find proof reading on the go to be rather convenient. I can quickly switch over to the Notes app to make notes for when I'm back at my computer.

Hope you find this useful.

IF

After playing with this for a bit, I must warn that it is cumbersome to navigate through the manuscript. I have not found a page down feature, so if you want to skip ahead, it may take a lot of finger scrolling. Fast scrolling will only skip 2-3 pages at a time. Also, if you manage to crash Safari, which is not hard to do, you will have to reopen your bookmark at the start of the manuscript.

IF

It is, Isaac. Thank you.

-Thoth.

P.S. Noticed how their site is set up for iPhone display? (Insanely Great Tees? I think not.)

They said in one of their posts that they are software developers who just happen to sell insanely great tee shirts.

IF

Yes. I looked over their Springlets and joke certificates. I suspect they make most of their money on the tees.

-Thoth.

BTW: Speaking of "too cool not to post"; hear about the 3G iPhone rumor?

I might be interested in the iPhone if I didn't have to put up with AT&T to get it. Wireless is available in much of my city, so the iPod Touch works pretty well.

IF

I might be interested in the iPhone if I didn't have to put up with AT&T to get it. Wireless is available in much of my city, so the iPod Touch works pretty well.

You're not interested in a new iToy just because you have no practical use for it? Better keep that under your (metaphorical) hat. You could lose your geek cred. Maybe even your regular-guy cred.

Lovin' the new toys.

-Thoth.

After playing with this for a bit, I must warn that it is cumbersome to navigate through the manuscript. I have not found a page down feature, so if you want to skip ahead, it may take a lot of finger scrolling. Fast scrolling will only skip 2-3 pages at a time. Also, if you manage to crash Safari, which is not hard to do, you will have to reopen your bookmark at the start of the manuscript.

To followup on the navigation difficulties, if you are willing to take the time to print your manuscript one chapter at a time, and create bookmarks of each chapter, jumping around the manuscript is much easier. In fact, since Safari lets you open multiple bookmarks at once, you can jump between two chapters with ease.

IF

To followup on the navigation difficulties, if you are willing to take the time to print your manuscript one chapter at a time, and create bookmarks of each chapter, jumping around the manuscript is much easier. In fact, since Safari lets you open multiple bookmarks at once, you can jump between two chapters with ease.

I wonder if Steve could put something in Storyist to facilitate printing single chapters (as PDFs)? There would probably be other uses for that (e.g., passing finished chapters around for review as they're written).

-Thoth.

I wonder if Steve could put something in Storyist to facilitate printing single chapters (as PDFs)? There would probably be other uses for that (e.g., passing finished chapters around for review as they're written).

-Thoth.

Well, technically you can print page ranges, but it would be convenient to have a "print current chapter" option or "print chapter range" option.

IF

Archived