Storyist Forums

Sharing/Linking Files Between Works in Progress

Barynz

I have needed to split my novel into two separate novels - Novel A and Novel B

REQUIREMENT:  A simple method to copy files, links, and documents from Storyist Novel A to Storyist Novel B as a whole document. A complete Project, Scene or Section Sheet copied and pasted.

ALSO: The ability to link research collated on 'Text File - Notes' which contain both notes and links to webpages To 'Drag&Drop; a link in the Project, Scene or Section Sheets.'TO THE NOTE'  containing the research.

I have in-depth notes and research links on Settings, Scenes and Projects in Novel A, and need to keep the timeline in sync.

It would be beneficial, especially to me, to be able to copy folders and or individual Setting, Scene and Project files/documents across to Novel B. It appears at present it all has to be raised new in Novel B then copy and pasted each individual 'Summary', 'Synopsis', 'Plot' and 'Notes'.

This would save a large amount of time and help with maintaining a time line on the Project Board between the two novels, Novel A now 47k words with all the associated information and and Novel B now 67k words in with no associated information.

On completion of these two novels, I am expecting to finalise both A and B, with a final novel C. Again, I expect to require the research and information already gathered.

If this is already possible then by all means delete this Topic. Otherwise, I will be interested to hear your views, and/or suggested ways of doing the above.

Regards

Barynz (John Baryn)

I agree that it would be great to have a more elegant way of copying files between projects. Notes can be exported and re-imported, but sheets require a lot of copying and pasting to make them usable again.

In the interim, what I do (because I'm in the midst of a whole series with repeating characters, some of whom first appeared in an earlier series, now complete) is simply to duplicate the most complete version of Novel X and save that as Novel X+1, so that the only thing I need to replace is the manuscript for the new book, plus add any new characters or settings or research that I didn't need before.

Of course, that doesn't allow the two files to stay in sync, in the sense that an update to one book is automatically reflected in the other book. But it's a lot easier to go through the character sheets, say, and update ages and other changing information than to read everything in from scratch. And the notes and research remain in place.

The other thing I do is keep an "Unused in This Book" folder where I can stash character and other info that I don't need now but may want later. That is, I don't throw any sheets/notes out unless I'm absolutely sure I will never need them again.

Hope that helps.

Marguerite

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for delay in response, I had no idea I had received a reply. Only here due to another problem, I have now slid the 'Notify me" across :)

What you suggest I have been doing in some form or another, but it is a problem as as present I started out with one novel and am now writing it as two, each from different perspectives and each following different paths, the characters only overlapping on certain dates of time.

It is a heavy handed way of doing it, not so bad if starting a new novel in a series, but that is not what I'm doing, plus I have already divided the novel by duplicating. I do appreciate your input though. Thanks again. B