Storyist Forums

step cards and more

mund

hello,

many years I was working with the old 3x5 software to outline my stories but since I updated to leopard it wont run anymore. now I am happy that I found the storyist software for outlining and writing my filmscripts. it is really good and has a lot of great features.

after starting to write a new script with storyist I have some ideas to improve this software.

1. Step Cards - like the chapter cards in the novel mode but without viewing the titel of the steps in the script - editable index cards which includes scene cards - for a overall view of the story

2. creativeNotebook - different possibilities of viewing notebook entries in storyboard mode - as index cards, as photos and as textpages (like title page) - with different size options (big cards for important notes, small for less important once...)

3. NoteDragging - Drag note cards to script makes auto link (past a small (resizable icon of the card or photo on the script page)

4. "insert new note" - drop-down menu to insert new notes into the script (and automatically creates new note in notebook)

5. Omiting Scenes

6. Auto numbering Cards

greetings from vienna/europe

thomas

ps: I apologize for my bad english - I hope you understand my ideas

hello,

Hi Thomas, and welcome to the Forum.

many years I was working with the old 3x5 software to outline my stories but since I updated to leopard it wont run anymore. now I am happy that I found the storyist software for outlining and writing my filmscripts. it is really good and has a lot of great features.

First, are you talking about 3x5 by Vega-Tek or 3x5 software in general? That said, yes, they do have some really good features. It's natural to want to extend those features to the index cards in Storyist's Storyboard. But...

1. Step Cards - like the chapter cards in the novel mode but without viewing the title of the steps in the script - editable index cards which includes scene cards - for a overall view of the story

We use Section sheets and Plot sheets for that (sort of). The notes don't integrate into (or below) the dialog automatically, as you may want. But you could simply write the note in the dialog and link it to a note sheet. Perhaps Steve can think of a better way of doing this.

2. creativeNotebook - different possibilities of viewing notebook entries in storyboard mode - as index cards, as photos and as textpages (like title page) - with different size options (big cards for important notes, small for less important once...)

You can already view Notebooks as pictures of notebooks in the Storyboard, or a list view. Instead of changing the size of individual Notebooks in the Storyboard to denote importance you could color-code them. If you have something else in mind, let us all know.

3. NoteDragging - Drag note cards to script makes auto link (paste a small (resizable icon of the card or photo on the script page)

Interesting idea. Drag and drop is more Mac-like. I'm not crazy about the idea of cluttering up the page with icons, though. Perhaps if they could be made invisible?

4. "insert new note" - drop-down menu to insert new notes into the script (and automatically creates new note in notebook)

Okay. You want to be able to write the note in the manuscript and have it automatically copied into a new notebook page. Do I have this right?

5. Omiting Scenes

Deleting them? Just select them in the Project Pane and delete them. Or am I misunderstanding?

6. Auto numbering Cards

Not a bad option if you generate a lot of Notebook notes. This might make a useful option. Calling everything "Unnamed" by default isn't all that useful.

greetings from Vienna/Europe

Salutations from The Glorious Bronx. Give my regards to the blue Danube.

Thoth.

ps: I apologize for my bad english - I hope you understand my ideas

At least you speak two languages. I can barely get by in English.

Hi Thomas, and welcome to the Forum.

hello thoth,

First, are you talking about 3x5 by Vega-Tek or 3x5 software in general? That said, yes, they do have some really good features. It's natural to want to extend those features to the index cards in Storyist's Storyboard. But...

I was talking about the "Three By Five" software from the first final draft team. it was a good software, but now out of time.

We use Section sheets and Plot sheets for that (sort of). The notes don't integrate into (or below) the dialog automatically, as you may want. But you could simply write the note in the dialog and link it to a note sheet. Perhaps Steve can think of a better way of doing this.

As I know Plot sheets are not linked to the script or scene sheets. I was think something much easier - the possibility to make groups for the scene sheets like the chapters in the novel mode. I use storist for scriptwriting.

You can already view Notebooks as pictures of notebooks in the Storyboard, or a list view. Instead of changing the size of individual Notebooks in the Storyboard to denote importance you could color-code them. If you have something else in mind, let us all know.

I am a visual person. so resizing is for me a better way to give importans to notes and ideas - also with the possibility to place them where you want - like on a real cork board.

Interesting idea. Drag and drop is more Mac-like. I'm not crazy about the idea of cluttering up the page with icons, though. Perhaps if they could be made invisible?

Yes.

Okay. You want to be able to write the note in the manuscript and have it automatically copied into a new notebook page. Do I have this right?

Yes

Deleting them? Just select them in the Project Pane and delete them. Or am I misunderstanding?

I mean the possibility of hiding scenes when I don't want to delete them and maybe want to use them later.

Not a bad option if you generate a lot of Notebook notes. This might make a useful option. Calling everything "Unnamed" by default isn't all that useful.

Salutations from The Glorious Bronx. Give my regards to the blue Danube.

Thoth.

Thomas

At least you speak two languages. I can barely get by in English.

Hi, Thomas--

Welcome to the forums!

I was thinking of something much easier - the possibility to make groups for the scene sheets like the chapters in the novel mode. I use storist for scriptwriting.

You may find the template attached to this post useful. Steve Shepard, the Storyist developer, created it.

It lets you have acts as well as scenes in your story. You can call the acts whatever you like, so you can use them for groups of any kind.

To use the template, click on the link to download the file, then drag it to ~/Library/Application Support/Storyist/Templates (you can create the folder if it doesn't exist), where ~ is your home folder. When you next open Storyist, the template will be there alongside the other choices.

Best,

Marguerite

Why is this message not quoting? I thought it was me, but it's not. The message is set to + quote! :(

I mean the possibility of hiding scenes when I don't want to delete them and maybe want to use them later.

This would be useful. One thing you can do in the meantime, assuming you don't want to use the scenes right away, is create an act called "Hidden Scenes" and stash the temporarily discarded ones there. I usually keep a Notes group called "Saved Text" and stash any potentially useful scenes in individual notes inside the group, but until Steve implements a way to retain formatting in notes, you need to know that text moved to the Notebook becomes "Default Text" when it goes back into your manuscript/screenplay, and you have to hunt it down and fix the styles. If you set up an act within the manuscript, the scenes will move back with their formatting intact.

Best,

M

Archived