Storyist Forums

link to files?

randomjo

Hello,

Is it possible in Storyist to create links to files, e.g. pdf-files?

The Storyist help actually contains a page called "Adding external files to the project" but this particular help page is empty.

Hi randomjo. Welcome to the forum.

You can currently link to Notes and to Web sites. Linking to local files (e.g., a PDF file on your startup disk) is still in development**, as far as I know.

Steve is the only person who could give you an idea of which version of Storyist will contain this feature.

- Methodical Thoth*

*Not so methodical after all. See M's post below.

**It would still be nice to be able to just type (or drag) a file name in the link syntax.

Hi randomjo. Welcome to the forum.

You can currently link to Notes and to Web sites. Linking to local files (e.g., a PDF file on your startup disk) is still in development, as far as I know.

Steve is the only person who could give you an idea of which version of Storyist will contain this feature.

- Methodical Thoth

Actually there is a way. I just tried it. It won't work for every sort of file, but it will work for a PDF (Julia, you may want to try this, too).

Do the following:

1. Open Safari. Choose File > Open (or Command-O), and navigate to the file you would like to link with.

2. Leave the file visible on screen. It will have an address that begins file:///Users/.

3. Open Storyist, if it's not already open. For the sake of this example, I created a new project based on the Novel template.

4. Click in the text where you would like the link to appear.

5. Choose Edit > Insert > Link (or Command-L). From the box next to Link To: choose Web page.

6. Go back to Safari and copy the address of the file.

7. Return to Storyist and paste the address where it says URL. You can retype it if you like, but the address tends to be long, so copy/paste ensures you don't make errors.

8. Type something that will remind you which file you are linking to next to Display:.

9. Click Insert to add the link and close the dialogue.

10. Click away from the blue underlined text. When you next click on the link, the file will open in Safari. Save your file!

"Adding external files to project" usually means dragging in an RTF or an image. You just drag it from the desktop and drop it in the Project View. Storyist automatically adds images to the IMAGES collection, but it will ask you whether an RTF should be Text (Manuscript), Notebook, Character, Setting, Plot, etc. You select what you want from the drop-down menu, and Storyist treats it appropriately.

And welcome to the forums.

Best,

Marguerite

cool. A bit cumbersome, but does the job!

Actually there is a way. I just tried it. It won't work for every sort of file, but it will work for a PDF (Julia, you may want to try this, too).

Do the following:

1. Open Safari. Choose File > Open (or Command-O), and navigate to the file you would like to link with.

2. Leave the file visible on screen. It will have an address that begins file:///Users/.

3. Open Storyist, if it's not already open. For the sake of this example, I created a new project based on the Novel template.

4. Click in the text where you would like the link to appear.

5. Choose Edit > Insert > Link (or Command-L). From the box next to Link To: choose Web page.

6. Go back to Safari and copy the address of the file.

7. Return to Storyist and paste the address where it says URL. You can retype it if you like, but the address tends to be long, so copy/paste ensures you don't make errors.

8. Type something that will remind you which file you are linking to next to Display:.

9. Click Insert to add the link and close the dialogue.

10. Click away from the blue underlined text. When you next click on the link, the file will open in Safari. Save your file!

"Adding external files to project" usually means dragging in an RTF or an image. You just drag it from the desktop and drop it in the Project View. Storyist automatically adds images to the IMAGES collection, but it will ask you whether an RTF should be Text (Manuscript), Notebook, Character, Setting, Plot, etc. You select what you want from the drop-down menu, and Storyist treats it appropriately.

And welcome to the forums.

Best,

Marguerite

cool. A bit cumbersome, but does the job!

Cool indeed. I should have thought of this (giving the file name a full URL via the browser).

I just tried it and I can shorten the procedure for you a tiny bit.

1. Open your Note in Storyist.

2. Open Safari (or what ever Browser you're using).

3. Find the PDF you want to link the Note to using the Browser. (Safari's "Open File", found under the File menu, can open some filetypes but not all.)

4. Drag the URL name displayed in the Browser to the point in the Note where you want it to appear.

The tiny bit of time saved is accomplished by dragging the URL rather than using the Insert Link function.

Hope this helps a little.

And thanks, M.

-Thoth

Cool indeed. I should have thought of this (giving the file name a full URL via the browser).

I just tried it and I can shorten the procedure for you a tiny bit.

1. Open your Note in Storyist.

2. Open Safari (or what ever Browser you're using).

3. Find the PDF you want to link the Note to using the Browser. (Safari's "Open File", found under the File menu, can open some filetypes but not all.)

4. Drag the URL name displayed in the Browser to the point in the Note where you want it to appear.

The tiny bit of time saved is accomplished by dragging the URL rather than using the Insert Link function.

Hope this helps a little.

And thanks, M.

-Thoth

Clever! That is much shorter, indeed.

Thanks to you,

M

Archived