Storyist Forums

Export to Word loses paragraph indents, and worse...

karenand

I'm using the latest version of Storyist and Word.

When I export, the file not only loses all the first-line paragraph indents, it becomes impossible to then apply first-line indents in Word. Can anyone help? This happens to me every time I export a Storyist manuscript to enter a contest or send to a publisher, and I spent hours retyping or cutting and pasting text because of this one problem.

When I turn on "show paragraphs" in Word, it shows paragraph marks at the end of each graf, so they are still there. But the first line of the next paragraph simply will not indent. It is locked.

Karen

karenand@mac.com

I'm using the latest version of Storyist and Word.

When I export, the file not only loses all the first-line paragraph indents, it becomes impossible to then apply first-line indents in Word. Can anyone help? This happens to me every time I export a Storyist manuscript to enter a contest or send to a publisher, and I spent hours retyping or cutting and pasting text because of this one problem.

When I turn on "show paragraphs" in Word, it shows paragraph marks at the end of each graf, so they are still there. But the first line of the next paragraph simply will not indent. It is locked.

Karen

karenand@mac.com

Hi Karen,

You're probably using the docx format. Storyist uses Apple's doc and docx converters and there are some bugs in them, even in Snow Leopard. You can verify this by copying your manuscript, pasting it into Text Edit, and exporting from Text Edit as a docx file. I've filed bug reports with Apple, and hope they'll address them soon.

In the mean time, export as RTF instead of doc or docx. Storyist's RTF exporter works well, includes additional information like stylesheets, headers, footers, and Word can import it just fine.

-Steve

Archived