Storyist Forums

formatting lost when exporting

hb1981

hi,

i have a screenplay written in storyist. i am trying to export it to word but some of the formatting is being lost when it converts. i had thought it was only some capitalization and line spacing that had got messed up, and was grudgingly going through and manually fixing it, but then i noticed that from about halfway in, the margins for the dialogue begin to be too wide. i don't want to fix this manually and i shouldn't have to! i've tried a previous suggestion of exporting as an rtf then coverting to a doc but the same thing happens. i've tried on two macs, one running snow leopard and the other running tiger. would opening the exported file on a windows pc make a difference?

any ideas very welcome.

hi,

i have a screenplay written in storyist. i am trying to export it to word but some of the formatting is being lost when it converts. i had thought it was only some capitalization and line spacing that had got messed up, and was grudgingly going through and manually fixing it, but then i noticed that from about halfway in, the margins for the dialogue begin to be too wide. i don't want to fix this manually and i shouldn't have to! i've tried a previous suggestion of exporting as an rtf then coverting to a doc but the same thing happens. i've tried on two macs, one running snow leopard and the other running tiger. would opening the exported file on a windows pc make a difference?

any ideas very welcome.

Hi hb1981,

I'm surprised that exporting as RTF is giving you trouble. What version of Word are you using to read the exported RTF?

If you're comfortable sending me the Storyist file, I'd be happy to take a look at it for you and send you back the exported file. Or, if you use iChat, we could do a quick screen sharing session and you could show me what you're seeing.

-Steve

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi, Impyjones--

I export to RTF all the time and have no trouble retaining formatting. Even Pages, which doesn't recognize RTF styles, normally retains the original formatting (italics, bold, etc.) while converting all the styles to Normal or the equivalent.

Could you be more explicit about what exactly you are doing?

Best,

Marguerite

Archived