Storyist Forums

trouble import/export RTF

Kingwhistle

Hello,

I would like to have the last several drafts of my script available in the same project to review. At the moment I have just one script in the project.

I couldn't see a different way to do this, so,,,,

-I opened an earlier version of the same project and exported the script as an rtf.

-Then I opened the created file with text edit , to be sure it was there. It appeared to be, although with wrong formatting.

-Then I opened the current version of my project, and imported the RTF which I had created as a script. It says that it is corrupt and can't import, or imports, but leaves a blank script icon, nothing there.

what do you think ?

I am on Storyist 2.2.1 and Mac OS 10.5.8

thank you.

Hello,

I would like to have the last several drafts of my script available in the same project to review. At the moment I have just one script in the project.

I couldn't see a different way to do this, so,,,,

-I opened an earlier version of the same project and exported the script as an rtf.

-Then I opened the created file with text edit , to be sure it was there. It appeared to be, although with wrong formatting.

-Then I opened the current version of my project, and imported the RTF which I had created as a script. It says that it is corrupt and can't import, or imports, but leaves a blank script icon, nothing there.

what do you think ?

I am on Storyist 2.2.1 and Mac OS 10.5.8

thank you.

Hi Kingwhistle,

The dialog indicating that the file is corrupt usually means just that. Perhaps you inadvertently edited the file before importing it or interrupted a transfer?

I just tried exporting and then importing RTF with a variety of scripts on 10.5.8 and was not able to reproduce your results. I'd be happy to take a look at the RTF file if you'd care to send it. You can use the support email address for that.

By the way, if you're working with scripts, you'll preserve more information if you use the Final Draft format (FDX) instead of RTF. RTF can't represent things like "tab" styles and screenplay pagination settings.

-Steve

• 8 months later...

I had a similar problem.

I converted my Word text to rtf, but Storyist would not import this. It was not choosable on the desktop.

I imported it as a Word document, but it had lost all its italics.

I am just not interested in going and putting them all back in again. It is too much work. I want to import my text the way I typed it. I have already done the work after all.

Is it possible? What am I doing wrong?

I do not want to change the italics to underlines, because I hate seeing underlines and only use them for book titles. They are too distracting for me on the page and I just can't write if I have to use them.

I had another try at this just now.

1. I read in the Storyist help:

To import a manuscript or script into a new project.

Choose File > Open.

Select a file.

If you select a file stored in one of the formats listed above, a message appears to inform you that Storyist can create a new project and import the file for you.

2. I try that exactly.

3. Yay! my rtf file is there! So I select that.

3. I get this message: The document “SHADOW SERVANTS rtf” could not be opened. Storyist cannot open files in the “Rich Text Format” format.

4. WTH???

Hi Tigger,

Welcome to the forums.

I had a similar problem.

I converted my Word text to rtf, but Storyist would not import this. It was not choosable on the desktop.

When you say it wasn't choosable on the desktop, do you mean that you couldn't select it in Finder, or you couldn't open it with the Open dialog in Storyist? If it is the former, perhaps there is a problem with the file itself. If it is the latter, make sure that the file has the .rtf extension.

I imported it as a Word document, but it had lost all its italics.

I am just not interested in going and putting them all back in again. It is too much work. I want to import my text the way I typed it. I have already done the work after all.

Is it possible? What am I doing wrong?

I do not want to change the italics to underlines, because I hate seeing underlines and only use them for book titles. They are too distracting for me on the page and I just can't write if I have to use them.

Storyist uses Apple's Word convert, so unfortunately, it can only present what it receives from the OS. Was this file generated by Microsoft Word? (I ask because there are a lot of bad Word exporters out there, especially for .doc which is an older format that Microsoft hasn't published a spec for.)

I had another try at this just now.

1. I read in the Storyist help:

To import a manuscript or script into a new project.

Choose File > Open.

Select a file.

If you select a file stored in one of the formats listed above, a message appears to inform you that Storyist can create a new project and import the file for you.

2. I try that exactly.

3. Yay! my rtf file is there! So I select that.

3. I get this message: The document “SHADOW SERVANTS rtf” could not be opened. Storyist cannot open files in the “Rich Text Format” format.

4. WTH???

Is the file named "SHADOW SERVANTS rtf" or "SHADOW SERVANTS.rtf"? It sounds like maybe the extension is not set.

You might try opening the file in another application that supports RTF (like TextEdit) to see if there might be an issue with the file itself.

-Steve

Archived