Storyist Forums

Internal Links

TexasRunner

Hi All. I'm still plugging away, working on my manuscript and learning Storyist, and just ran into another little problem for me.

I created a Character Questionnaire Form in iWork Pages then copied and pasted the info onto a Notebook page. I wanted to create an internal link from the Storyist Character Sheet to the Notebook page. It appears that you should be able to do this by Insert, Add Link, Story Element, and choosing Notebook Entries from the right-hand column drop-down menu. When I do that, none of my Notebook Entries are listed in the box below as choices for linking. I can link to the others (including sheets), but not my Notebook Entries. Am I misinterpreting this feature?

I am also confused by the Story Element choices in Add Link - which are All, Characters, Settings, Plot Points and Notebook Entries - but when I select one of those, it doesn't change what information is displayed in the box. Seems like if you selected Plot Points, it would only show Plot Points in the box.

Many thanks,

TR

Hi TexasRunner,

I created a Character Questionnaire Form in iWork Pages then copied and pasted the info onto a Notebook page. I wanted to create an internal link from the Storyist Character Sheet to the Notebook page. It appears that you should be able to do this by Insert, Add Link, Story Element, and choosing Notebook Entries from the right-hand column drop-down menu. When I do that, none of my Notebook Entries are listed in the box below as choices for linking. I can link to the others (including sheets), but not my Notebook Entries. Am I misinterpreting this feature?

No, you're encountering a known bug. You should be able to add notebook entries via the Add Link menu. A fix is coming. In the mean time, to add a link to a notebook entry, use the wiki format. In the text:

1) Type '[['

2) Type the name of the notebook entry you want to link to.

3) Type ']]'

I am also confused by the Story Element choices in Add Link - which are All, Characters, Settings, Plot Points and Notebook Entries - but when I select one of those, it doesn't change what information is displayed in the box. Seems like if you selected Plot Points, it would only show Plot Points in the box.

Type the first character in the search field and the results will be filtered by the type you selected. It is reasonable to expect the filter to kick in when you change the filter type on an empty search string, and I'll add that for you.

-Steve

Hi TexasRunner,

Thanks Steve. Both of those things worked just fine.

TR

No, you're encountering a known bug. You should be able to add notebook entries via the Add Link menu. A fix is coming. In the mean time, to add a link to a notebook entry, use the wiki format. In the text:

1) Type '[['

2) Type the name of the notebook entry you want to link to.

3) Type ']]'

Type the first character in the search field and the results will be filtered by the type you selected. It is reasonable to expect the filter to kick in when you change the filter type on an empty search string, and I'll add that for you.

-Steve

Archived