Storyist Forums

Difference between adding and editing a session goal?

cdulecki

I'm new to Storyist, but really like it so far, and will probably buy it in preparation for nanowrimo this year (my first time entering). I have a question about the goal area. It seems like in the goal area of the inspector, adding a goal does the exact same thing as editing a goal. Aside from the word "Edit" vs. "Add", they update the same fields, they both reset the counter, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to set two session goals. Am I doing something wrong?

Hi Corey,

Welcome to the forums.

I'm new to Storyist, but really like it so far, and will probably buy it in preparation for nanowrimo this year (my first time entering). I have a question about the goal area. It seems like in the goal area of the inspector, adding a goal does the exact same thing as editing a goal. Aside from the word "Edit" vs. "Add", they update the same fields, they both reset the counter, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to set two session goals. Am I doing something wrong?

Edit resets the current session data. You might use this if your writing session is interrupted, but you forget to pause the timer.

Add creates a new session and stores it in the project. You might use this if you want to set up a writing sprint or track your daily word count. The benefit here is that the session data stays with the project. A future version of Storyist could make this available for editing/graphing.

-Steve

Hi Corey,

Welcome to the forums.

Edit resets the current session data. You might use this if your writing session is interrupted, but you forget to pause the timer.

Add creates a new session and stores it in the project. You might use this if you want to set up a writing sprint or track your daily word count. The benefit here is that the session data stays with the project. A future version of Storyist could make this available for editing/graphing.

-Steve

I find that editing a timer doesn't reset the counters, it just allows me to edit the title - unless I change the time, then it will reset it. Or at least, it did the first time. Now it doesn't reset it no matter how many times I try. However, if I use the "add" capability, it does reset both words and time consistently, so that's a good workaround, but I'm concerned that I'll end up leaving phantom "timer sessions" in my project that I can't see or remove, taking up space on my drive. Assuming these all get loaded into memory when the project starts up, this will also end up making my project have a larger memory footprint as time goes on, which makes me nervous. Even if they aren't all loaded, it's extra stuff on the drive that's never used, right?

Also, I can't seem to pick the "Display remaining time" or "Display Remaining Words" options in the session goal options, it lets me click them but nothing changes and the checkmarks stay exactly where they were. Also, in the session time format options, I can pick the hour:minute:second format, but then if I pick either the "Days" or "Weeks" format, I get an additional checkmark next to them (so both h:m:s and days will be checked, for example).

Looks like the timer still needs some work. The rest of the software is working really great, though. Very stable, and very fast.

• 4 weeks later...
Also, I can't seem to pick the "Display remaining time" or "Display Remaining Words" options in the session goal options, it lets me click them but nothing changes and the checkmarks stay exactly where they were.

I am having the same issue. DO these functions not work unless I buy the software?

I am trying it out for Nanowrimo and have not purchased it yet.

I am having the same issue. DO these functions not work unless I buy the software?

I am trying it out for Nanowrimo and have not purchased it yet.

Hi, Rach:

Whatever the problem is, I don't think it has anything to do with whether you've paid for Storyist yet. The trial version is identical to the paid version except that it expires after a certain date.

Best,

Marguerite

Hi Corey and Rach,

There is indeed a bug (in versions 2.2 and 2.3) that prevents you from selecting the "Display Remaining Time" or "Display Remaining Words" menu options in the writing goals inspector. (It was triggered by the switch to 64-bit and is apparently due to subtle differences in how Apple's code handles updates to UI information).

A fix is now in testing and will be available in a few days. Send me a PM if you'd like to check out the beta.

-Steve

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Corey and Rach,

There is indeed a bug (in versions 2.2 and 2.3) that prevents you from selecting the "Display Remaining Time" or "Display Remaining Words" menu options in the writing goals inspector. (It was triggered by the switch to 64-bit and is apparently due to subtle differences in how Apple's code handles updates to UI information).

A fix is now in testing and will be available in a few days. Send me a PM if you'd like to check out the beta.

-Steve

Good afternoon all. The "Display Remaining Time" and "Display Remaining Words" in Session Goals was frustrating me as well until I accidentally discovered that if you click on the option already checked, e.g., if Display Elapsed Time has a check mark next to it, click on Display Elapsed Time and it will will switch to "Display Remaining Time." Same for Words.

-T/R

Archived