Storyist Forums

How do I delete fields?

cdulecki

I'm new to Storyist, and love it so far. However, in learning how to use it, I've added some fields to my character sheets that I don't want anymore. Also, some of them I added as text files instead of text, which, I didn't realize, causes a new notebook page to be added every time I type something in it. I can't change them to text as far as I can tell, nor can I delete them and recreate them. My only resolution at this point seems to be type them in and keep deleting these new notebook pages as they appear, which is a pain. In addition, I now have duplicate fields (Epiphany as a text file, Epiphany as text) because I figured I might be able to change the field type by adding it again with the same name - no go. The only workaround I can see is to rename the fields I don't use and put "Do Not Use" as the first part of the field name.

I really want to clean up the mess, but the only solution I can see at this point is to start a new project and manually cut-and-paste all of my work from the old project into the new one.

Help! :)

Hi Corey,

I'm new to Storyist, and love it so far. However, in learning how to use it, I've added some fields to my character sheets that I don't want anymore. Also, some of them I added as text files instead of text, which, I didn't realize, causes a new notebook page to be added every time I type something in it. I can't change them to text as far as I can tell, nor can I delete them and recreate them. My only resolution at this point seems to be type them in and keep deleting these new notebook pages as they appear, which is a pain. In addition, I now have duplicate fields (Epiphany as a text file, Epiphany as text) because I figured I might be able to change the field type by adding it again with the same name - no go. The only workaround I can see is to rename the fields I don't use and put "Do Not Use" as the first part of the field name.

I really want to clean up the mess, but the only solution I can see at this point is to start a new project and manually cut-and-paste all of my work from the old project into the new one.

Help! :)

You can remove the field from the sheet by clicking the field and selecting Remove Field. If you had previously set this the sheet template to use this field, simply click the field and select Save As Template again.

You can create a new field with the name by first renaming the field you don't want (e.g. "My Field" -> "My Field (old)") and then adding a new field with the correct type.

There isn't currently a mechanism to delete the unwanted field definitions from the project (e.g. delete "My Field (old)"). I'll try to add that for you in the next dot release.

-Steve

Hi Corey,

You can remove the field from the sheet by clicking the field and selecting Remove Field. If you had previously set this the sheet template to use this field, simply click the field and select Save As Template again.

You can create a new field with the name by first renaming the field you don't want (e.g. "My Field" -> "My Field (old)") and then adding a new field with the correct type.

There isn't currently a mechanism to delete the unwanted field definitions from the project (e.g. delete "My Field (old)"). I'll try to add that for you in the next dot release.

-Steve

Cool, thanks. I figured you might use sqlite for storage, so I looked around but couldn't find anything, then thought it's probably best not to go mucking around with the internals of how things are stored. I look forward to the next release!

Cool, thanks. I figured you might use sqlite for storage, so I looked around but couldn't find anything, then thought it's probably best not to go mucking around with the internals of how things are stored. I look forward to the next release!

The sheet data is actually RDF. You'll find some information about the file format here. The field definitions are in the "vocabulary.owl" file. If the fields are used, you'll find them in "story.rdf".

-Steve

Archived