Storyist Forums

Converting to Kindle Format

RBSHoo

I followed all the steps until I got to the Export button, which I then clicked. Now it's just sort of sitting there. can anyone tell me what I need to do next? the program is not responding, but it doesn't really look like it crashed, if that makes sense Does it take a long time to export the file?

Thanks.

I followed all the steps until I got to the Export button, which I then clicked. Now it's just sort of sitting there. can anyone tell me what I need to do next? the program is not responding, but it doesn't really look like it crashed, if that makes sense Does it take a long time to export the file?

Thanks.

It shouldn't take very long. Did you download the KindleGen software from Amazon.com first? Storyist needs to access it to generate the file.

If that's not the issue, Steve Shepard will have to weigh in—or someone else who has a better idea of how the conversion works. I have found it relatively seamless so far.

And welcome to the forums.

Best,

Marguerite

It shouldn't take very long. Did you download the KindleGen software from Amazon.com first? Storyist needs to access it to generate the file.

If that's not the issue, Steve Shepard will have to weigh in—or someone else who has a better idea of how the conversion works. I have found it relatively seamless so far.

And welcome to the forums.

Best,

Marguerite

Hi RBSHoo,

If you do have kindlegen installed, it would be useful to know:

1) What version of Storyist, OS X, and Kindlegen you are running.

2) What happens if you export the novel template.

-Steve

Hi RBSHoo,

-Steve

Steve

I've got OS 10.5.8, Storyist 2.3 (1366), and I think version 1-1 of kindlegen, but I can't really tell.

Hi RBSHoo,

-Steve

Nothing seems to happen when I export the novel template.

Hi RBSHoo,

Nothing seems to happen when I export the novel template.

OK, a couple of things to check:

1) Make sure that you've let Storyist know where kindlegen is located. You can do that in the last step of the export. The "Kindlegen location:" field should list the full path to the tool. If it is blank, just click the Change button and select the kindlegen tool.

2) Make sure you can run kindlegen. Open a terminal window, type the full path to the tool (e.g. "/Users//tools/kindlegen") and press return. You should see a print out of the version and the options for running the tool from the command line.

3) Examine the kindlegen log for errors. You can have Storyist save the kindlegen log when it creates the mobi file. Let me know if you see any errors or warnings in the log.

-Steve

• 4 weeks later...
Hi RBSHoo,

OK, a couple of things to check:

1) Make sure that you've let Storyist know where kindlegen is located. You can do that in the last step of the export. The "Kindlegen location:" field should list the full path to the tool. If it is blank, just click the Change button and select the kindlegen tool.

2) Make sure you can run kindlegen. Open a terminal window, type the full path to the tool (e.g. "/Users/<your name>/tools/kindlegen") and press return. You should see a print out of the version and the options for running the tool from the command line.

3) Examine the kindlegen log for errors. You can have Storyist save the kindlegen log when it creates the mobi file. Let me know if you see any errors or warnings in the log.

-Steve

Steve, thanks -- unfortunately, I don't know how to do steps 2 or 3. I do have kindlegen installed, and Storyist is pointed toward the correct file. The rest though is beyond my expertise. I can follow directions pretty well, if you're willing to give me a step by step breakdown.

Thanks

Steve, thanks -- unfortunately, I don't know how to do steps 2 or 3. I do have kindlegen installed, and Storyist is pointed toward the correct file. The rest though is beyond my expertise. I can follow directions pretty well, if you're willing to give me a step by step breakdown.

Thanks

RBSHoo, step 2 is pretty easy.

1. Open a Terminal window. It can be found in the Utilities folder inside the Applications folder.
  2. Drag the kindlegen app over the Terminal window and drop it there.
  3. Press Return.

Good luck.

Ted

• 1 month later...
RBSHoo, step 2 is pretty easy.

1. Open a Terminal window. It can be found in the Utilities folder inside the Applications folder.
  2. Drag the kindlegen app over the Terminal window and drop it there.
  3. Press Return.

Good luck.

Ted

Ted,

Thanks -- I finally got around to following your direction, and I discovered my problem. My cover art was in jpg format, and I saw in the Terminal log that it needed to be in gif format. I simply made the change, and the export worked fine.

But then it led me to another problem, which I would welcome any advice on.

I had imported the manuscript from Word (specifically, Office for Students for the Mac), and Storyist recgonizes the document, but it doesn't seem to break up the chapter. the end of Chapter 1 runs right into the header for Chapter 2, and so on.

Is there a way to make this work so the document comes out clean?

In general, Storyist does best in importing RTF files, so just save your Word .doc as RTF and import that. If that doesn't fix it, make sure that you have the Chapter Title style applied to the chapter title. (Hint: you can adjust this in Storyist by choosing Format > Style > Apply Styles by Matching Text if you start your chapter titles with the word "chapter." Otherwise you go through and click on each one, then click at the bottom where it says Section Text and choose Chapter Title.)

Also make sure, before importing, that you are using # on a line by itself to indicate where each scene ends, so that Storyist knows where to break your sections. That includes the last scene of a chapter (right before the title).

Glad the Kindlegen thing worked! (Although I used JPEG cover files without a problem, so maybe the glitch was specific to that file.)

Best,

Marguerite

Archived