Storyist Forums

Don't Understand Panel Switching Behavior

mercedes von uppity

This might be on here somewhere, but if so I cannot find it.

I am writing with 3 panels open. The 1st panel is the "binder". The 2nd, middle panel, is where I type my text. The 3rd, right hand panel, is where I leave up character pages or my outline, as I write.

My problem is that the panel switching behavior is driving me batty. I know to make sure that the panel I want to change is highlighted gray before clicking. But that often doesn't seem to matter (or work, often).

Example: For much of the day I've been writing away with my plot outline open in the 3rd panel. But now I can't get Storyist to STAY arranged that way. When I go to type text in the 2nd panel, the 3rd panel switches to a list version of my text. (Chapter 1, untitled section, chapter 2, untitled section...etc).

I have corrected it 100 times. I get the 3rd panel back on plot, but as soon as I go back to type in the 2nd panel, the 3rd panel hops back to list version of text! What the what?

When I try to triple confirm that the correct panel is highlighted, either it IS and that doesn't matter or the highlighting doesn't seem to follow my command. If the 2nd panel is highlighted and I start typing, the 3rd panel changes anyway and THEN highlighting hops over to the right. If I click back on the top margin of panel 2, to put the control back over there, nothing happens. The highlighting stays on panel 3...until I type in panel 2. THEN the highlighting changes to panel 2...but panel 3 still swaps back to a list version of my text.

Why why why won't Storyist now let me keep the panels in the combination I want? This has been happening all day with different desired combinations, but I'm sure the underlying problem is all the same.

Thanks for any available clarification.

Hi mercedes,

If the views are changing when you click in an adjacent view, you probably enabled view linking at some point (maybe when working through this tutorial). View linking causes contents of one view to change in response to clicks in another.

To turn it off:

1) Change one of the views to outline (View > as Outline) or storyboard (View > as Storyboard) mode.

2) Click the link button at the bottom of the outline or storyboard. This is the button next to the add (+) button.

-Steve

PreviewScreenSnapz002.tiff

Archived