Storyist Forums

Using Barnes and Noble's ePub Reader

robertstagg

I've had success and issues when it come to exporting my work to ePub and viewing using Barnes and Noble's ePub reader for mac. After hours of going back and forth, thinking I was making too many changes - I would edit the format styles for text (heading, default style, chapter title, etc.) and then export, only to have the B&N app. crash on loading, or not display all the content. Finally I tried just sending to my Nook to test, and everything came across fine, when the same ePub file would crash or appear corrupted when viewed on the B&N app.

Has anyone else run across this issue?

Is editing and creating your own styles a solid feature in the latest Storyist?

Is there a work-around for a table of contents, such as the Barnes & Noble (Nook) help documentation sports?

Finally - what is the best size image for the Nook... I thought 600 x 720 (w x t).

Okay, I lied - finally - What is the best workflow - write in another app. and bring over to Storyist or do it all in Storyist? I assume I can do it all in Storyist, as it is designed to be a suite of tools, but I just getting started with it and could use some advice.

Thank you,

And Happy Holidays!

Robert

I've had success and issues when it come to exporting my work to ePub and viewing using Barnes and Noble's ePub reader for mac. After hours of going back and forth, thinking I was making too many changes - I would edit the format styles for text (heading, default style, chapter title, etc.) and then export, only to have the B&N app. crash on loading, or not display all the content. Finally I tried just sending to my Nook to test, and everything came across fine, when the same ePub file would crash or appear corrupted when viewed on the B&N app.

Has anyone else run across this issue?

Is editing and creating your own styles a solid feature in the latest Storyist?

Is there a work-around for a table of contents, such as the Barnes & Noble (Nook) help documentation sports?

Finally - what is the best size image for the Nook... I thought 600 x 720 (w x t).

Okay, I lied - finally - What is the best workflow - write in another app. and bring over to Storyist or do it all in Storyist? I assume I can do it all in Storyist, as it is designed to be a suite of tools, but I just getting started with it and could use some advice.

Thank you,

And Happy Holidays!

Robert

Hi Robert,

Welcome to the forums.

So it sounds your ePub file views correctly in Nook, but crashes the Barnes & Noble viewer app. I would guess that this is an issue with the Barnes & Noble app, but there are a couple of things you can do to test this:

1) Verify that the ePub file is valid by running it through epubcheck 1.0.5. ThreePress has a free online validator you can use for this purpose. Storyist should generate ePub files that pass this test.

2) Try viewing it in Adobe Digital Editions. ADE is a free reader that has been around for a while and is robust (though it does have its layout quirks).

As for creating your own styles, you'd want to do this by editing the CSS files after you create the ePub. This screencast has some more information about doing that.

If you're a writer, you can certainly use Storyist to write your manuscript. That is what it is designed for, and it is straight-forward to create ePub and Kindle editions from your project with very few steps.

-Steve

I would add that I stopped using the B&N reader software altogether, because it has all kinds of bugs (the iPad app much worse than the Mac version). I have never had any trouble creating an ePub file from Storyist and loading it onto my iPad through iTunes. All the formatting carries over (with one exception—italics defined in a style rather than applied to text, which I think is an ePub quirk). Storyist also creates excellent MOBI files for Kindle, although I realize that's not much help if you have a Nook.

Good luck!

Marguerite

I would add that I stopped using the B&N reader software altogether, because it has all kinds of bugs (the iPad app much worse than the Mac version). I have never had any trouble creating an ePub file from Storyist and loading it onto my iPad through iTunes. All the formatting carries over (with one exception—italics defined in a style rather than applied to text, which I think is an ePub quirk). Storyist also creates excellent MOBI files for Kindle, although I realize that's not much help if you have a Nook.

Good luck!

Marguerite

Thank you Marguerite, and you too Steve. Marguerite, you mentioned a problem with italics not being recognized. What was your solution? It should be defined in a style? I have italics and underlines in my text that I need carried over to the Nook. I want to test on the iPad and Kendle, but don't have those devices as of yet. Thank you!

Thank you Marguerite, and you too Steve. Marguerite, you mentioned a problem with italics not being recognized. What was your solution? It should be defined in a style? I have italics and underlines in my text that I need carried over to the Nook. I want to test on the iPad and Kendle, but don't have those devices as of yet. Thank you!

Hi, Robert:

Almost all italics and underlining applied through Storyist are carried over. The directions that Adobe gives for ePub say that you should define the italics as a character style and apply it. I have never needed to do this with Storyist files. I just use the Mac standards, Command-I for italics and Command-U for underlines. Using the Format > Font menu works as well, if you're not a key combination aficionado.

The only problem I had with formatting was that I had defined my own custom paragraph style, Section Date, to right align and italicize one line of text by itself at the beginning of a chapter, as in:

CHAPTER 1

Section Date here

Chapter text starts here.

Under those circumstances, the right align appeared in the ePub and the italics didn't. The solution was to redefine the text as Section Text, then italicize and right align it manually. Then everything was fine.

Hope that helps. Welcome to the forums!

Marguerite

P.S. I just tried to open the ePub of my main novel file in B&N eReader for Mac. Almost all the formatting transferred. The indents are huge, but otherwise it looks okay. I generated this file using the standard Storyist settings. Could something else be causing the eReader to crash? I should mention that I edited all the paragraph styles in my document to change the font to Times New Roman (per your original question).

Archived