Storyist Forums

Help on Outlines

jzarley

I think I'm missing something really basic about the functionality of outlines...

I can't seem to figure out how to set the style in the outline so that it carries over to the manuscript. (However, I can apply the style in the manuscript and it carries over as expected to the outline...)

I'm using a modified template based on the Storyist User Guide. I've created a "Chap Num" style ("Heading 1" in the outline level) that follows with a "Chap Title" ("Heading 2"), then two different section headers (headings 3 & 4). What I want to do is create my chapter structure (with headings) in the outline first, before I begin working on the "meat" in the manuscript. For some reason, if I click the action button with a "Chap Num" (heading 1) selected, it creates a new outline entry that looks correct, but when I go to the manuscript it's not actually the correct style.

I'm sure it's just something about the user interface I'm just not getting (or, maybe I set up something wrong in my modified template), but I'd certainly appreciate any advice.

Thanks--

Joel

Hi Joel,

I think I'm missing something really basic about the functionality of outlines...

I can't seem to figure out how to set the style in the outline so that it carries over to the manuscript. (However, I can apply the style in the manuscript and it carries over as expected to the outline...)

I'm using a modified template based on the Storyist User Guide. I've created a "Chap Num" style ("Heading 1" in the outline level) that follows with a "Chap Title" ("Heading 2"), then two different section headers (headings 3 & 4). What I want to do is create my chapter structure (with headings) in the outline first, before I begin working on the "meat" in the manuscript. For some reason, if I click the action button with a "Chap Num" (heading 1) selected, it creates a new outline entry that looks correct, but when I go to the manuscript it's not actually the correct style.

I'm sure it's just something about the user interface I'm just not getting (or, maybe I set up something wrong in my modified template), but I'd certainly appreciate any advice.

You can assign which style is applied by default to for a given outline level as follows:

1) Select your manuscript in the Project view.

2) Choose Project > Edit "My Manuscript" Preferences

3) In the Manuscript preferences, click the Edit Outline Elements button. This brings up a dialog that lets you specify which styles are applied by default for a given outline level.

4) Edit the outline elements to use your styles.

In your example, you would set outline level 1 to "Chap Num" and "Chap Title" to outline level 2.

Hope this helps. I'd be happy to take a look at your template if you want.

-Steve

Archived