Storyist Forums

Overlapping text

Serpententacle

Hi...

I feel a bit embarrassed because I asked for a refund of my Storyist download last week, but after I did that, I spent a lot of time thinking about how I could make Storyist work for me. Last week I was stumped by it, and couldn't figure it out. I think the reason was because I started out with Scrivener, and I wanted, or thought, I could make it work like Scrivener. It turned out that I re-bought Storysit this week and gave it another go. It wasn't until I understood that Storyist actually works almost opposite the way Scriveners does. With Storyist you write first, and organize as you go. With Scrivener you have to kind of organize "on your own" and have to kind of feel your way through the dark.

After a day,( today) of roughing out a story in Storyist, something just clicked, and I found myself discovering more and more about my creative process. And now, I don't know if I can put it down. Storyist is proving to be a great motivational tool. I'm very loyal to Scrivener, so I hesitate to say that Storyist is my "go-to" software, but it definitely gained some points today.

Nevertheless, onto the troubleshooting issue...

I was working on filling out a "plot point" and I accidentally moved a block of text and dropped it on top of where it said "protagonist, antagonist, conflict"... which made it all garbled and overlapped. I tried to reselect the text and move it back to it's original place, but it wouldn't budge. So I ended up scrapping the entire "plot point" and had to begin it again. It's not only Plot points, that have "transformative" format and can get garbled—it happens on those metadata pages often, I've found. Formats seem to change when I navigate from my manuscript to the metadata (is it the right term "metadata" for the sheets that supplement the manuscript text?) pages. Does my issue make any sense at all?

Why is it one can move text overlapping the "display fields"? Maybe an update could make it so the "display field" will not allow text to overlap it?

Hi Serpententacle,

Thanks for giving Storyist another go!

I was working on filling out a "plot point" and I accidentally moved a block of text and dropped it on top of where it said "protagonist, antagonist, conflict"... which made it all garbled and overlapped. I tried to reselect the text and move it back to it's original place, but it wouldn't budge. So I ended up scrapping the entire "plot point" and had to begin it again. It's not only Plot points, that have "transformative" format and can get garbled—it happens on those metadata pages often, I've found. Formats seem to change when I navigate from my manuscript to the metadata (is it the right term "metadata" for the sheets that supplement the manuscript text?) pages. Does my issue make any sense at all?

Why is it one can move text overlapping the "display fields"? Maybe an update could make it so the "display field" will not allow text to overlap it?

Can you attach a quick screenshot showing what you're seeing and let me know what version of OS X you're using?

The sheet fields are contained in tables. The dragging code should prevent what you're describing, but it could be that you've discovered a bug. If so, I'll fix that for you right away if I can reproduce it here.

-Steve

Thanks for the reply. If I encounter the issue again, I will take a screenshot... how does one take a "screenshot"? Do you mean with a point and shoot camera? If so, I can probably manage that.

Again... thanks.

Oh, I almost forgot... I am running in OS X 10.6.7

For what it's worth, I was not able to reproduce this behavior with a new file based on the Hero's Journey template. I created two new plot points (screen shots attached—produced by holding down Command-Shift-4 and dragging around the area I wanted to capture, then opening the PNG files in Preview, saving them as JPEG at about 40% to reduce the size, and giving them recognizable names). The first time I dragged, I eventually made the text disappear altogether by dragging it over the "Conflict" field name. The second time, and the first time before it disappeared, the text dropped into the field description, as in the second JPEG.

BTW, I have also now automatically created a character called "Summarize the plot point here..."! ;)

Welcome to the forums, Serpententacle. Glad you gave Storyist another try. It is different from Scrivener, but it's well worth learning! :)

Best,

Marguerite

Yes, yes... that's similar to what happened to me, too. But it's not exactly what happened to me. I tried to re-create what I described above, but am unable to do so. If I encounter any more anomalies, I will screenshoot them and post them in this thread.

Thanks for sharing Marguerite.

Archived