Storyist Forums

Demo crashes

rj1138

Hello all. I downloaded the demo a couple of weeks ago and am still trying to decide between Storyist and another similar program. I like Storyist for its focus on the fictional realm with character sheets and folders and other elements which are perfect for the short story writer and novelist.

The only issue I'm having is that it's crashed a few times. I'm using a 1.25Ghz eMac with the maximum amount of RAM (1 Gig) that it will allow. I mention the RAM because the listed requirements, from what I remember, call for a good amount of RAM. i think I had some other apps. open which i'm wondering might be part of the issue. I seem to recall seeing it mentioned here somewhere that Storyist really is RAM intensive and crashes can occur.

Is anyone familiar with this? It was mentioned in a thread, which compared Storyist, Scrivener and others, that Storyist users were essentially spoiled (a good thing) by the stability of Storyist. Unfortunately, the lack of stability has been an issue for me.

Note: I rarely experience issues with crashing on my Mac. I regularly use high power apps., like Final Cut Pro, without a hint of trouble.

Hi rj1138,

Hello all. I downloaded the demo a couple of weeks ago and am still trying to decide between Storyist and another similar program. I like Storyist for its focus on the fictional realm with character sheets and folders and other elements which are perfect for the short story writer and novelist.

The only issue I'm having is that it's crashed a few times. I'm using a 1.25Ghz eMac with the maximum amount of RAM (1 Gig) that it will allow. I mention the RAM because the listed requirements, from what I remember, call for a good amount of RAM. i think I had some other apps. open which i'm wondering might be part of the issue. I seem to recall seeing it mentioned here somewhere that Storyist really is RAM intensive and crashes can occur.

Is anyone familiar with this? It was mentioned in a thread, which compared Storyist, Scrivener and others, that Storyist users were essentially spoiled (a good thing) by the stability of Storyist. Unfortunately, the lack of stability has been an issue for me.

Note: I rarely experience issues with crashing on my Mac. I regularly use high power apps., like Final Cut Pro, without a hint of trouble.

Your CPU/RAM, though a little low compared to current machines, look OK.

In general, Storyist is really stable. If it crashes again on you, please submit the crash report with a little note referencing this post and I'll take a look at it right away.

-Steve

BTW, Did you mean to write that you have an iMac or you actually have an eMac (PPC, discontinued in 2006)? I loved that machine.

Hi rj1138,

Your CPU/RAM, though a little low compared to current machines, look OK.

In general, Storyist is really stable. If it crashes again on you, please submit the crash report with a little note referencing this post and I'll take a look at it right away.

-Steve

BTW, Did you mean to write that you have an iMac or you actually have an eMac (PPC, discontinued in 2006)? I loved that machine.

Hello steve. I do, in fact, have a white eMac. My daughters inherited my old, blue, iMac. i believe that one has OS9 as its OS. I've wanted nothing more than to update but it just hasn't been possible. That's why I've been so selective about where to put my software dollars.

i have a few days left on my demo. If it crashes again I will try to gather as much info. as possible for you. I really like Storyist and want to give it every chance.

Regards,

Bob

Hello steve. I do, in fact, have a white eMac. My daughters inherited my old, blue, iMac. i believe that one has OS9 as its OS. I've wanted nothing more than to update but it just hasn't been possible. That's why I've been so selective about where to put my software dollars.

i have a few days left on my demo. If it crashes again I will try to gather as much info. as possible for you. I really like Storyist and want to give it every chance.

Regards,

Bob

Hi Bob,

I can extend your demo period if you want. Send a quick email to support and I'll get you a temporary license.

-Steve

• 1 month later...

Hello Steve. I'm back. I will be sending that email for a temp. license but I do have one question: Does the option for sending a crash report pop up when using the demo? I don't believe I've seen it. Is there a manual method I'll have to use?

Hi rj1138,

If Storyist for Mac crashes, a window should appear offering to send the crash report. If it doesn't, you can find the reports in the Library/Logs/CrashReporter folder in your home directory.

-Steve

Hello Steve. I'm back. I will be sending that email for a temp. license but I do have one question: Does the option for sending a crash report pop up when using the demo? I don't believe I've seen it. Is there a manual method I'll have to use?

Archived