Storyist Forums

Confused newbie

shambhavi

Hi Everyone,

I'm a new user of Storyist. I'm writing a book of short essays.

Here are the things I'm confused about:

1. Why when I click on the Project Menu > Add to Project > Notebook entry, does the note end up under Manuscripts in the Project column? Why doesn't it end up under Notebook? And does the actual Notebook section in the Project column only have the possibility to add groups and not individual notes?

2. Clicking on the Notebook icon in the top menu brings on the corkboard. But there is no "toggle off" for the corkboard. Is there any way to make the corkboard disappear other than by dragging the edge?

I'm sure I will have more questions. There are some things I'm still so confused about, I don't yet know how to formulate the question!

Finding the styles very easy to use, though.

Thanks!

Hi shambhavi,

1. Why when I click on the Project Menu > Add to Project > Notebook entry, does the note end up under Manuscripts in the Project column? Why doesn't it end up under Notebook? And does the actual Notebook section in the Project column only have the possibility to add groups and not individual notes?

If you don't have an item selected in the Project view, Project Menu > Add to Project > Notebook entry does place the Notebook entry in the MANUSCRIPTS collection. The MANUSCRIPTS collection is the default container for text files when you haven't otherwise indicated where you want something put.

If you'd like to place it elsewhere, select the appropriate destination folder (e.g. NOTEBOOK) before you run the command.

2. Clicking on the Notebook icon in the top menu brings on the corkboard. But there is no "toggle off" for the corkboard. Is there any way to make the corkboard disappear other than by dragging the edge?

Clicking the Notebook icon splits the view (if it isn't already split) and puts the notebook corkboard in the right split.

There are a couple of ways to close the spilt:

1) Click in the view you want to keep and choose View > Split > Close Others.

2) Click in the view you want to keep, click and hold the Workspaces icon in the toolbar, and choose Single view.

I'm sure I will have more questions. There are some things I'm still so confused about, I don't yet know how to formulate the question!

That's what the forums are for. Ask away.

Finding the styles very easy to use, though.

Thanks!

Thanks. And welcome to the forums.

-Steve

Archived