Storyist Forums

Online references integration

BenofGotham

For the Dict.org integration I'm imagining these creative boosters:

Tools > Enable Thesauri

- This would allow the user to click on any word which would then generate a document-wide scrollable pop-up mini bar at the bottom of the document where you can choose the synonym you wish.

Tools > Enable Dictionary

- Sometimes you don't write alone but what if the person co-writing or editing your work doesn't have a clue about a word you've used? They should be able to click on that word and again have a document-wide scrollable pop-up mini bar at the bottom of the document with every definition possible, which could generate discussions about the real feel of a sentence or phrase.

For the Wikipedia integration and (maybe) Instapaper I'm imagining...

Tools > Enable Wikipedia

Tools > Enable Instapaper

- This will work along with the index cards and bit.ly to shorten referenced links. Who wants to retype or resummarize a concept they were researching on wikipedia? I don't. For each index card, I'd love to have a hot and shortened quick link so I can re-read an article if I wish and jot down my take aways and points as I do now. Now, what if you don't use Wikipedia at all but read current events or other real-time information and saved them all into Instapaper? Again, links to your Instapaper documents should be shortened when placed into your index cards and near the points you'd like to make for that section of your story or article.

Hi Ben,

Adding dictionary and thesaurus functionality would be very useful. Good suggestions.

I'm a little leery of adding a bunch of tools to the Tools menu, because it starts to get "un-iPad-like" if you add too many. I have some ideas about how to address this, though.

-Steve

For the Dict.org integration I'm imagining these creative boosters:

Tools > Enable Thesauri

- This would allow the user to click on any word which would then generate a document-wide scrollable pop-up mini bar at the bottom of the document where you can choose the synonym you wish.

Tools > Enable Dictionary

- Sometimes you don't write alone but what if the person co-writing or editing your work doesn't have a clue about a word you've used? They should be able to click on that word and again have a document-wide scrollable pop-up mini bar at the bottom of the document with every definition possible, which could generate discussions about the real feel of a sentence or phrase.

For the Wikipedia integration and (maybe) Instapaper I'm imagining...

Tools > Enable Wikipedia

Tools > Enable Instapaper

- This will work along with the index cards and bit.ly to shorten referenced links. Who wants to retype or resummarize a concept they were researching on wikipedia? I don't. For each index card, I'd love to have a hot and shortened quick link so I can re-read an article if I wish and jot down my take aways and points as I do now. Now, what if you don't use Wikipedia at all but read current events or other real-time information and saved them all into Instapaper? Again, links to your Instapaper documents should be shortened when placed into your index cards and near the points you'd like to make for that section of your story or article.

Archived