Storyist Forums

Trouble with Images in EPUB exports

twoolever

I am apparently missing some information on how to manage images. I have a book manuscript with images (inline) created in Pages, exported as RTF and imported into Storyist. When I create an EPUB export, some (not all!) images are generating "referenced items missing" errors in epubcheck. The images show up fine in all my ereader viewers, but this doesn't help me when trying to get my EPUB in the iBookstore, which is my goal.

I tried stripping the images out of my original Pages document and then dragging or inserting those same images into my document in Storyist, but when I do this, the images look awful, and I'm still getting errors, that make me think that dragging the images into Storyist is not creating proper html references.

I have searched all posts here and just reread the manual and can't find help. I have seen references to being sure to "resize" my images but don't know what the reference is to.

I don't many images: just a logo at the beginning and ending of my book (which oddly enough, is showing up just fine and generating no errors, though it is formatted like the others), one photo of self in the "About" page, and one image that I use repeatedly as an end of chapter graphic.

I love the fact that EPUB handles images and other media so well, but can't for the life of me figure out why I can't make them work in Storyist.

Any help would be appreciated!

Tonia

Hi Tonia,

I am apparently missing some information on how to manage images. I have a book manuscript with images (inline) created in Pages, exported as RTF and imported into Storyist. When I create an EPUB export, some (not all!) images are generating "referenced items missing" errors in epubcheck. The images show up fine in all my ereader viewers, but this doesn't help me when trying to get my EPUB in the iBookstore, which is my goal.

I tried stripping the images out of my original Pages document and then dragging or inserting those same images into my document in Storyist, but when I do this, the images look awful, and I'm still getting errors, that make me think that dragging the images into Storyist is not creating proper html references.

I have searched all posts here and just reread the manual and can't find help. I have seen references to being sure to "resize" my images but don't know what the reference is to.

I don't many images: just a logo at the beginning and ending of my book (which oddly enough, is showing up just fine and generating no errors, though it is formatted like the others), one photo of self in the "About" page, and one image that I use repeatedly as an end of chapter graphic.

I love the fact that EPUB handles images and other media so well, but can't for the life of me figure out why I can't make them work in Storyist.

Any help would be appreciated!

Tonia

So it sounds like you're able to import your text and images and create an ePub that is viewable in iBooks and other ePub readers, but the epubcheck tool reports errors with the images. Two suggestions come to mind:

1) If you've got inline images in the text, you don't need to select the images in the first step of the export process; Storyist will include the necessary images in the ePub file. The support page has the Storyist project used to create the User's Guide ePub (which has images0. You might download this project and check the ePub preset for an example.

2) If I remember correctly, Pages exports images with horrendous filenames. It may be that the filenames, when converted to URLs for ePub, are confusing the epubcheck tool. Try exporting the images from Pages to a folder, renaming them to be more URL-friendly, and then importing them into Storyist.

If neither of these fix the problem, I'd be happy to take a look at the project for you and see what is going on.

-Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I had realized that it is not necessary to select images in Storyist export to EPUB, so not doing that.

I had noticed the horrible names Pages assigned to its exported images; here is an example of what it did to mine:

1__#$!@%!#__pastedGraphic.pdf

Note that my original graphic is not a pdf at all, but is a JPEG or GIF -- mostly JPEGs, yet they were interpreted going out of Pages or RTF format into Storyist as PDF's!

I have now converted all my image names to lower case, no special characters or spaces, and re-imported them to Pages; they now show up nicely with proper names in Storyist, and do not generate any errors in epubcheck.... BUT the images in the resulting EPUB export appear as if they have terrible resolution.

I published one earlier EPUB project with Storyist that had some images and they came out fine. I've done upteen configurations and am at a loss for why these images look so bad in this one project.

(I have looked at the Project Guide also, still can't find my problem.)

I'd love for you to look at this if you have time. I'm just baffled. However, I see that the upload limit is 500k, and my Storyist file is 27mb - another mystery to me since I have only 1 cover image at 422k, 1 image at 2.4mb and a third at 622mb and the rest is text. And yes, I have emptied the trash.

Please advise!

Tonia

Thanks for your help!

Hi Tonia,

Okay, I had realized that it is not necessary to select images in Storyist export to EPUB, so not doing that.

I had noticed the horrible names Pages assigned to its exported images; here is an example of what it did to mine:

1__#$!@%!#__pastedGraphic.pdf

Note that my original graphic is not a pdf at all, but is a JPEG or GIF -- mostly JPEGs, yet they were interpreted going out of Pages or RTF format into Storyist as PDF's!

I have now converted all my image names to lower case, no special characters or spaces, and re-imported them to Pages; they now show up nicely with proper names in Storyist, and do not generate any errors in epubcheck.... BUT the images in the resulting EPUB export appear as if they have terrible resolution.

I published one earlier EPUB project with Storyist that had some images and they came out fine. I've done upteen configurations and am at a loss for why these images look so bad in this one project.

(I have looked at the Project Guide also, still can't find my problem.)

I'd love for you to look at this if you have time. I'm just baffled. However, I see that the upload limit is 500k, and my Storyist file is 27mb - another mystery to me since I have only 1 cover image at 422k, 1 image at 2.4mb and a third at 622mb and the rest is text. And yes, I have emptied the trash.

Please advise!

Tonia

Thanks for your help!

I'd be happy to look at it for you. 27mb is a little large to send via email, so why don't you put the Storyist project on the web somewhere and send me the URL in a PM.

I'll take a look and let you know what I find.

-Steve

Archived