Storyist Forums

ipad transfer

billcry

I have a document created on an Ipad 2 in Storyist which consists of 50 pages of text and about a dozen note cards. When I transfer the document to Storyist for the Mac, the document text transfers OK, but the note cards are missing. How do I transfer the whole package from the Ipad to the Mac and visa versa and keep all notes, etc.?

Hi billcry,

Welcome to the forums.

I have a document created on an Ipad 2 in Storyist which consists of 50 pages of text and about a dozen note cards. When I transfer the document to Storyist for the Mac, the document text transfers OK, but the note cards are missing. How do I transfer the whole package from the Ipad to the Mac and visa versa and keep all notes, etc.?

To transfer the whole package from Storyist for iPad:

1. Navigate to the home (My Projects) screen in Storyist for iPad.
  2. Export the Storyist project using whatever method you wish (Dropbox sync, iTunes, etc...)

To see the index cards in Storyist for Mac:

1. Open the project in Storyist for Mac.
  2. In the Project view, click on the manuscript containing the index cards you want to view.
  3. Choose View > as Storyboard or click the storyboard (four squares) button in the bar at the top of the text view.

In Storyist for Mac, the index cards are shown on a corkboard by default (you can change this in the preferences) and chapters are displayed as stacks that you double click into (like in Finder) to see the contents. If you click on a chapter in the Project view, you'll see just the cards for that chapter in the storyboard view.

-Steve

Hi billcry,

Welcome to the forums.

To transfer the whole package from Storyist for iPad:

2. Navigate to the home (My Projects) screen in Storyist for iPad.
  3. Export the Storyist project using whatever method you wish (Dropbox sync, iTunes, etc...)

To see the index cards in Storyist for Mac:

2. Open the project in Storyist for Mac.
  3. In the Project view, click on the manuscript containing the index cards you want to view.
  4. Choose View > as Storyboard or click the storyboard (four squares) button in the bar at the top of the text view.

In Storyist for Mac, the index cards are shown on a corkboard by default (you can change this in the preferences) and chapters are displayed as stacks that you double click into (like in Finder) to see the contents. If you click on a chapter in the Project view, you'll see just the cards for that chapter in the storyboard view.

-Steve

Thanks, but still noting. When I open in the storyboard view I get a blank card. I think the problem is that the file is in rtf in dropbox and I can't seem to get the iPad app to save it to drop box in any other file format (I'm not sure what the storyist file is called .storyist?) So, I guess the first step might be to find some way to export to drop box in another file system?

Hi billcry,

I think the problem is that the file is in rtf in dropbox

Thanks. Yes, the RTF file doesn't include index card summaries because the format doesn't support it. What you'll want to do is sync the Storyist project (the file extension is .story), which includes the index card information. To do this:

1. Navigate to the My Project view.
  2. Tap Edit.
  3. Select the project file containing the files you want to export. This project file will have the Storyist icon in the lower right corner of the icon.
  4. Export the file.

-Steve

Bill, If you are at the top level, where you create a new project, the only option is to export as .story.

If you are trying to export from within the Manuscripts folder, then your only options are .rtf or .txt. So if that's what you see, you can't be at the top level.

Try tapping the back arrow in the top left corner until that space includes a "New Project" option and your file has a Storyist icon in its lower right corner. Then choose Edit and tap on it, tap on Export and select your intended destination, and you should see the .story option. That will export your notes and your text (and any sheets you've created).

Best,

Marguerite

Hi billcry,

Thanks M. I see that you just responded.

I must be missing something here. When I do as you instruct, the export shows two options: export the file as rtf or txt. Ther is no option to export as .story.

If the options are to export RTF for plain text, you've selected a text file, not a Storyist project. Tap the back button in the toolbar to get to the enclosing project.

-Steve

Archived