Storyist Forums

Changing scene header in Outline or Index Card deletes complete scene text

Timmy

Love the app, although having some serious productivity issues. If I'm in Outline view or Index Card view, then right there change scene header (title), subsequently all of the text in the script (action, dialog, etc) within that scene is deleted. Why is this? I can never change the header without losing text.

Also, if I change the scene header within the script, it is not carried over to the Outline view, or the Index Card view. I need these scene headers to carry over. If changes are not carried over, how am I supposed to navigate my screenplay?

Steve,

I can confirm half of this using the Screenplay template. To reproduce:

1. Create a new project on the iPad based on Screenplay.

2. Go to the end of the boilerplate text. Open the Outline view and pin it.

3. Add a new scene. Call it, say, INT. WRITER'S OFFICE.

4. Enter a character name, line of dialogue, and some action.

5. Go to the outline, select that scene, edit, and change the name to, say, WRITER'S DEN.

6. Watch the contents of the scene disappear.

Note that I could overwrite the word DEN with OFFICE in the script itself and have that carry over to the outline without losing anything. But when I again tried to change OFFICE to DEN in the outline, the scene disappeared once more.

Timmy, it is not supposed to work that way. You uncovered a bug. Steve will fix it, I'm sure, so it's good you reported it.

Best,

Marguerite

This was with 1.1. I don't remember seeing it in 1.0, although I don't use Screenplay all that often. EDIT 10/20/11: I filed a proper bug report this morning.

Hi Timmy,

Love the app, although having some serious productivity issues. If I'm in Outline view or Index Card view, then right there change scene header (title), subsequently all of the text in the script (action, dialog, etc) within that scene is deleted. Why is this? I can never change the header without losing text.

It looks like Storyist is creating a new scene rather than editing the title of the existing scene. I've just fixed this for 1.1.1, which should be out next week. In the mean time, you can use the Undo to retrieve the old scene if you do this inadvertently.

Also, if I change the scene header within the script, it is not carried over to the Outline view, or the Index Card view. I need these scene headers to carry over. If changes are not carried over, how am I supposed to navigate my screenplay?

Unfortunately, I'm not able to reproduce this. If the paragraph is marked as a scene header, edits to the paragraph should be reflected in both the outline and on the card. If you have any additional information on how to reproduce this, please let me know. I'll keep trying on this end.

-Steve

Hi Timmy,

Storyist was creating a new scene rather than editing an existing scene. This is fixed in 1.1.1, which is available in the App Store today.

-Steve

Archived