Storyist Forums

What's a Collage again? How do I bring it up?

JimmyMcVideo

From the help document:

"Adding items to a collage is a simple as dragging them from the Project view to the collage."

That's kind of a circular statement. What's "the collage?" How do I access it?

And the rest of the statements on that help page refer to "the collage" but I'm still not sure what it is.

Hi, Jimmy,

Welcome to the forums. If you click on an individual item in the Project View (the list on the left)—let's say a pre-defined character named John Doe—and choose View as Grid from the View menu (I am typing this from my iPad, so it may be View as Image), you will see a gray screen with John Doe's character image, if any. That is the collage.

You can drag any additional images either from the Images folder or from a Finder window into the gray area. You can also drag sheets and notes from the Project View into the gray area to link them to John Doe or click on the Comments icon in the toolbar to add a note to yourself. That's why it's called a collage, because it accepts many different kinds of information and lets you stack it as you like.

Best,

Marguerite

Hi, Jimmy,

Welcome to the forums. If you click on an individual item in the Project View (the list on the left)—let's say a pre-defined character named John Doe—and choose View as Grid from the View menu (I am typing this from my iPad, so it may be View as Image), you will see a gray screen with John Doe's character image, if any. That is the collage.

You can drag any additional images either from the Images folder or from a Finder window into the gray area. You can also drag sheets and notes from the Project View into the gray area to link them to John Doe or click on the Comments icon in the toolbar to add a note to yourself. That's why it's called a collage, because it accepts many different kinds of information and lets you stack it as you like.

Best,

Marguerite

Thanks Marguerite. I think you mean STORYBOARD, right? There's View > Text, Outline, or Storyboard. Indeed the background is gray. And I see that I can drag anything I want into it.

Ok, I guess the term "collage" is what confused me. It might have been simpler if the HELP said "This is what a storyboard can do" and "You can drag anything you want into a work area that is set to View > Storyboard, collage-style."

Anyway, thanks for the clarification.

J

Yes, this is the problem with trying to help without actually having the program open. Storyboard refers both to the corkboard that shows up behind groups, with multiple images (say, all characters) and the collage, which lets you collect things of different types but associated with a single story item.

The help file/manual has a section "About Storyboards," which defines collages, corkboards, and the differences between them. You can find it by typing storyboard or collage into the search field under Help.

Glad my poor use of the terminology didn't derail you.

Best,

Marguerite

• 1 year later...

"The help file/manual has a section "About Storyboards," which defines collages, corkboards, and the differences between them. You can find it by typing storyboard or collage into the search field under Help."

This statement is not true. I've read the manual and help file and the term collage is used without any definition or any indication of how the heck one creates one. I still do not get how it is similar to/different from the Storyboard view. And then people talk about corkboards. It's all very confusing to the newbie.

Hi, Candace, and welcome!

A collage refers to a single sheet. You know you are in one when the background is gray. You can drag connected things (sheets, plot points, multiple images) to the collage to link them. You see them only when you are in the collage.

A storyboard is like a collage, but it refers to groups of similar items: characters, settings, plot points, images. These items are displayed against a corkboard, and you can drag them around, usually, to reorder them.

Similar idea, but one combines items of different types (collage) and the other items of the same type (storyboard). The background tells you which one you are dealing with.

Best,

Marguerite

Thank you so much for taking the time and effort to explain that. I now see the background difference (gray vs. cork board). So cork boards are for working with similar items, but collages allow one to combine disparate items. Very helpful. Thank you!

Archived