Storyist Forums

iCloud

PaulCompton

I have only just installed Storyist on my Mac; I'm still in the demo phase. But one of the decisive things for me is going to be the synchronisation.

I don't use DropBox at present, but I guess I could start. But I'd be much happier to think of that as a temporary solution in the knowledge that Storyist will become iCloud-compatible in a (not-too-distant) future version. Is this planned?

I have only just installed Storyist on my Mac; I'm still in the demo phase. But one of the decisive things for me is going to be the synchronisation.

I don't use DropBox at present, but I guess I could start. But I'd be much happier to think of that as a temporary solution in the knowledge that Storyist will become iCloud-compatible in a (not-too-distant) future version. Is this planned?

pjc, thanks for bringing this up.

Steve,

I'm curious about this also. I'm still trying to get my feet wet with the whole iCloud thing but I think it could be a nice painless way to synchronize my writings between my devices.

-Whirlybird

Hi pjc,

Welcome.

iCloud support is on the list. From a developer's perspective, the iCloud support for Mac apps is a little behind the iOS support, so it will probably be next year before both Storyist for Mac and Storyist for iPad support it.

That said, in it's current form, iCloud isn't as appealing as Dropbox for two reasons:

1) iCloud doesn't save revisions of your document. Dropbox does.

2) iCloud keeps documents private to the app that created them, whereas Dropbox let you put files in a shared folder that can be accessed by multiple apps. The iCloud model may be fine for proprietary formats, but makes sharing standard files (like RTF) more difficult.

-Steve

• 1 month later...

If you do an iPhone app, I can see iCloud synchronization being very interesting.

Of course when iCloud MacOS support is in place, the automatic sync between iPad and Mac applications is also very interesting. I've seen an alpha version of iWork iCloud synchronization that is very nice between iPad and Mac - totally transparent between platforms and nearly instantaneous.

I can see myself using my iPad as my writing tool, and using my iPhone to look up character and setting sheets.

I find it a little awkward today writing on the iPad when I want to refer back to a character sheet. I end up using the Notes application on my iPhone as a temporary work area for character notes and then copying them to Storyist on the iPad later.

-t

Archived