Storyist Forums

Nested Chapters/Sections

psm9640

Hey everyone...

I recently downloaded the demo for evaluation and had a question: in the epub version of the Storyist User Guide, I really like the "nested" or sub-sections of each chapter in the table of contents (just as reference: I'm using Adobe Digital Editions to read while trying different aspects of Storyist). For the life of me, however, I can't figure out how to re-create this structure in my test project. I have sections that, while they don't merit having their own Chapter, it would be nice to be able to create a sub-section for browsing/direct linking in the TOC just like the user guide has (essentially making the menu hierarchy one level deeper). I've attached a screenshot in case I'm not making any sense.

Thanks in advance!

post-1661-0-03031400-1321642168_thumb.jpg

Hi psm9640,

Thanks for checking out the demo!

Hey everyone...

I recently downloaded the demo for evaluation and had a question: in the epub version of the Storyist User Guide, I really like the "nested" or sub-sections of each chapter in the table of contents (just as reference: I'm using Adobe Digital Editions to read while trying different aspects of Storyist). For the life of me, however, I can't figure out how to re-create this structure in my test project. I have sections that, while they don't merit having their own Chapter, it would be nice to be able to create a sub-section for browsing/direct linking in the TOC just like the user guide has (essentially making the menu hierarchy one level deeper). I've attached a screenshot in case I'm not making any sense.

Thanks in advance!

The ePub TOC outline is taken from the heading levels of the text. To create nested chapters, just create a style with heading level of 2 and apply it to the nested headings.

The Storyist project for the User Guide is a great example of how to do this. You can download it from the support page and see how it was put together.

-Steve

Hi Steve,

So far so good. One issue I'm running into: Is it possible to have new sections begin using a header style or is this exclusive to chapters only? I tried making a custom header style in the inspector and checking "paragraph starts new page" but to no avail -- only way I can get something to begin on a new page is if I make it a chapter, which for my projects purposes is not totally ideal.

Thanks very much!

Hi psm9640,

Thanks for checking out the demo!

The ePub TOC outline is taken from the heading levels of the text. To create nested chapters, just create a style with heading level of 2 and apply it to the nested headings.

The Storyist project for the User Guide is a great example of how to do this. You can download it from the support page and see how it was put together.

-Steve

Hi psm9640,

So far so good. One issue I'm running into: Is it possible to have new sections begin using a header style or is this exclusive to chapters only? I tried making a custom header style in the inspector and checking "paragraph starts new page" but to no avail -- only way I can get something to begin on a new page is if I make it a chapter, which for my projects purposes is not totally ideal.

Thanks very much!

There isn't a mechanism for starting new body text sections by marking a paragraph with a style. Storyist starts new outline entries when:

• A paragraph has a heading level other than body text.
  • A paragraph follows a paragraph having a heading level other than body text.
  • A paragraph follows a section separator.

If you just want a paragraph to start on a new page, you CAN apply a style with the "paragraph starts new page" checkbox check, but it does just that. It doesn't also insert the paragraph (or range of paragraphs) into the outline.

-Steve

Archived