Storyist Forums

Exporting book for self publication

xmasguy

I used to use Scrivener, but the fact that there is an iPad version of Storyist, which is so full featured one me over. My daughter and I recently co-authored a childrens book and are looking to have it self published through lulu or createspace. I noticed that the export function within Storyist doesn't seem as robust as Sceivener...is that true or am I missing something? Scrivener would turn all the section markers (#) to something else (blanks, for example), the font would change to something you'd actually see in a novel...I want to say that you could even target the final dimensions of the book.

How have people, in the past, gotten their manuscripts ready to submit to sites, such as Lulu? Honestly, this book is more of a family gift than trying to make money, so I'm not obsessive about trying to get the layout perfect...I just thought it would be a bit easier....

If I'm missing anything, please let me know.

By the way...I do love this software. I am currently out in the middle east with my iPad and I was able to finish the book with her...so a big thanks to Steve for this wonderful software!

Scrivener operates differently, as it displays one way on screen and lets you set options on output, whereas Storyist is WYSIWYG on screen (which I find easier to deal with, especially for self-publishing, since I can see the results of my changes in real time). What I would do is copy your book file and open the copy in Storyist, then adjust the fonts, alignment, layout, etc., on screen using the Inspector and Styles.

The reason you want to work with a copy (besides the protection it offers against human error—you can always create a new copy from the original if you hate the results) is that you yourself can change the # to a blank space using Find/Replace. But when you do that, you eliminate the section breaks, so you want to perform the search/replace on a file you don't expect to edit again.

If what I just wrote is gobbledygook, feel free to post again and ask for clarification. My impression is that Storyist's export features, for both print and e-book, are actually much better than Scrivener's. They merely require a small adjustment in how you think about the conversion.

And welcome to the forums! :)

Marguerite

Archived