Storyist Forums

Word Count Question

KrisM

I promise I searched and read the help/readme files! It's funny how little things pop up a long time after I use a program.

Can I set it up so that I get word counts for individual chapters, or even sections? Right now I get word counts for the Manuscript only, which is mostly okay, but being able to break it down further would be great.

**edit** I can actually do this by Section, but just right-clicking (or cmd click for one button mouse users) in a Section and telling it to Select Section. I can also just highlight an entire chapter to see it's word count. if I can just figure out how to select an entire chapter at once, I'll be 95% happy :D

ideally I'd like to be able to click Manuscript and get it's word count, a Chapter and get it's count, and a section to get it's count. Maybe I should make that a FR if there isn't a way already?

Hi Kris,

I promise I searched and read the help/readme files! It's funny how little things pop up a long time after I use a program.

Can I set it up so that I get word counts for individual chapters, or even sections? Right now I get word counts for the Manuscript only, which is mostly okay, but being able to break it down further would be great.

**edit** I can actually do this by Section, but just right-clicking (or cmd click for one button mouse users) in a Section and telling it to Select Section. I can also just highlight an entire chapter to see it's word count. if I can just figure out how to select an entire chapter at once, I'll be 95% happy :D

ideally I'd like to be able to click Manuscript and get it's word count, a Chapter and get it's count, and a section to get it's count. Maybe I should make that a FR if there isn't a way already?

To get section word counts:

1) Open the manuscript.

2) View > as Outline.

3) Click the Action (gear) button at the bottom an choose Columns > Word Count.

You'll now see word counts for each section in the manuscript.

Unfortunately, Storyist does not currently remember this column setting (it's on the list), so you'll need to repeat these steps after you restart the app.

-Steve

Archived