Storyist Forums

Converting a Novel to a Screenplay

lmtaylorzw

Hi, Lynn, and welcome to the forums. I think you may be our first member from Tanzania!

You have several choices here, arranged more or less by ease of use:

1. Don't copy anything. Inside your file, set up for the novel, click on the Project button in the toolbar and choose Film Script. A brand new screenplay will appear with dummy text. Click in the text, choose Select All from the Edit Menu (or press Command-A), and start typing. This option keeps the novel and the screenplay in a single Storyist file.

2. Save the novel file under a new name. Delete the novel manuscript, if any, click on the Project button and choose Film Script. Proceed as above. Exactly the same results, except that now you have one file for your novel and another for your screenplay, so you have to keep them in sync if you make changes to the sheets.

3. Save the novel file as a template (go to the File menu and choose Save as Template). This is most useful if you are starting a series or doing something else that requires you to access the same characters, formatting, etc. in multiple files. With this option, you give the template a name and it shows up in the New Project window anytime you start Storyist with no files open or choose New Project (Command-N) from the File menu. I use this option for my five-part series, where some characters and settings repeat but not all—and not always the same ones, so managing all those characters in one file would be pretty unwieldy.

On the whole, #1 is the simplest, because if you change your mind about a character in either novel or screenplay, the change is reflected instantly in both. And Storyist is perfectly capable of handling both a novel and a screenplay in a single file.

All best,

Marguerite

Hi Marguerite

Wow! That was so easy I'm feeling like I did something wrong ... only it's all working! Many, many thanks.

I'm actually originally from Zimbabwe but now live in Tanzania so I've probably got the "firsts" a couple of times! Thanks for the welcome - I am enjoying Storyist HUGELY so far!

Earlier I was reading a forum posting about a dateline/timeline that Steve may be working on. Do you know if that's something we should expect soon or shall I just carry on with my tatty old calendar?

Thanks for your help,

Regards

Lynn

Hi lmtaylorzw,

Welcome!

Earlier I was reading a forum posting about a dateline/timeline that Steve may be working on. Do you know if that's something we should expect soon or shall I just carry on with my tatty old calendar?

A timeline feature isn't imminent.

-Steve

Archived