Storyist Forums

Can't delete/re-order automatic Plot Points in project imported from iPad

locke42

Hi,

I just purchased Storyist for Mac, and for the most part I love it. However, I'm having a little trouble.

Basically, I first started using Storyist for the iPad (it was cheaper :P), but when I imported my projects from my iPad to my Mac, I discovered that templates on the iPad don't necessarily match templates on the Mac version. For example, when I created a new Novel project on the iPad and compared it to a new Novel project on the Mac, I realized that the Mac version actually had additional Collections that the iPad version didn't have (i.e. Plot, Section Sheets, Bookmarks, Notebook).

Anyway, while working on the project I had imported from my iPad, I noticed that I couldn't remove or reorder Plot Points, because the PLOT Collection had never been created on the iPad project. It still shows up when I click the "Plot" button on the menu bar. However, I can't remove any plot points, I can't view them in the Project View, and I can't move plot points into Groups.

Do I have to create a brand new project in order to fix this?

Also, I can't seem to drag-and-drop manually created Plot Points into Section Sheets in order to associate them. Is this a bug as well?

Hi Locke42,

The templates that come with the iPad version are a little simpler that the ones that come with the Mac version, but they are compatible, and anything you create in the Mac version should be preserved when editing on the iPad.

On the iPad, collections just show up as folders of the same name. The only thing that collections really do for you on the Mac is to provide a default place for new items to be placed when they're created.

If you created a project in the iPad version and want to create a collection for holding plot points:

1. Add a new collection to the project.
  2. Select the collection in the project view and choose Project > Edit "Untitled Collection" Preferences.
  3. Choose "Plot Points" from the Contents popup.

You can then drag (in the Project View) your plot points to the collection.

Storyist doesn't currently support dragging plot points from the Project view to a section sheet. You can add new plot points by clicking the plot point icon in the sheet and choosing "Add Plot Point" from the popup menu. You can assign an existing plot point to a section sheet by right-clicking the Section Sheet field in the plot point sheet and choosing the appropriate section sheet.

-Steve

Steve,

I think you misunderstand me. When I imported the iPad project into my Mac, Storyist for Mac already created a "Plot" Collection, but it doesn't make it visible in the Project view and it doesn't allow me to delete Plot Points that are automatically created by adding a plot point to a Section Sheet.

Look at the attached screenshot for an example. On the right-hand pane is the "Plot" collection, but in the Project view it doesn't show up, and neither do any of the Plot Points in the Plot collection.

I can manually create new Plot Points in the Project view and they will show up properly and can be fully edited, deleted, organized, etc. However, when I create a Plot Point by right-clicking on the light bulb icon in the Section Sheet, the Plot Point is created in the invisible Plot Collection, but I can't seem to delete those Plot Points and I can't reorganize them into groups.

post-1538-0-68509900-1336790696_thumb.png

Hi locke42,

Thanks for the screenshot.

I'm guess that the Plot collection is in the project trash. To check, click the Trash button at the bottom of the Project view as in the attached screenshot.

Trash.jpg

If that's not it, let me know and we can investigate further.

-Steve

That's it! That's where they ended up. But that sorta raises more questions:

1) How do I change the defaults so that when I add a Plot Point via a Section/Scene Sheet, it adds it to a new "Plot" Collection I created instead of the one in the Trash? I've tried moving all the contents out of the Trash into a new Plot Collection, but new Plot Points still go to the one in the Trash.

2) Also, when I empty the Trash, and then try to create a new Plot Point, it goes "somewhere," but not in the Trash and not in the new Plot Collection.

Archived