Storyist Forums

Changing Character "Cont'd" style

irish

Call me "old school", but is there any way to change the automated font of the character "CONT'D" to "Cont'd". This option is available in FD, but I can't find a way to edit this in Storyist. I prefer this look to my screenplays. Any suggestions?

Doug

Hi, Doug, and welcome to the forums!

I am a novelist, not a screen writer, but I would Control-click or right-click in a Cont'd line and choose Edit Current Style, then look for an All Caps setting. Change that to Normal, and click OK or Save (sorry—typing from my iPad so cannot be more specific). You should be all set.

If it does not work, write again, and I will check on my Mac.

Best,

Marguerite

Marguerite,

Thank you for your help. Unfortunately, when I tried editing the style to lowercase (or just capitalizing the first words) it applied it to the character name as well. Proper screenwriting format requires the character names to be in CAPS. I'll keep trying.

Doug

Marguerite,

I found out how to do it. I should've figured this out sooner, but by going into the "Script" option from the Preferences menu, I was able to "uncheck" the "Extensions" option. This allows the "Cont'd" to be in lower case. Very happy now. Thanks again for your input.

Doug

I'm new to Storyist after screenwriting for years on Final Draft, Screenwriter and Movie Outline. I LOVE the features that Storyist presents to me but I'm running into problems when it comes to formatting:

1. Just when I thought I "fixed" my formatting problem with character "Cont'd" Storyist reverted back to its default form. When it comes to character (Cont'd) I don't want it to be in ALL CAPS following the character name. Final Draft allows you to edit this in their styles, but I can't do it in Storyist. I was able to create a new style labeled "Character Cont'd" which allows me to manually type the look I want, but it's an extra step I'd rather not have to do. Maybe the Storyist team could address this in a future version.

2. I'm finding that when a character is speaking on the bottom of one page, and his dialogue is carried to the top of the next his character name does not follow. In short, I just have "widowed" dialogue at the top of a page. I often see this problem when a parenthetical is involved. I've tried editing character and dialogue elements in the inspector but it's to no avail. Any suggestions?

3. This may sound silly, but because of my years working on FD and Screenwriter, I'm used to the keyboard shortcuts (using my Control + Number Keys) to cycle through the various elements. I'd rather use this feature instead of just using the "Tab" or "Return" key feature. Storyist has keyboard shortcuts but they require and extra "arrow" key instead of just Control + a number. Is there any way to edit this in Styles? I've looked but I haven't been successful. Perhaps this is another feature for future versions of Storyist.

Doug

Archived