Storyist Forums

Navigation buttons affecting non-selected split-view window

Steakpirate

I have three views open at present: two vertical views, side by side, and the right-most view has been split horizontally into two view windows. My intent was to have one open to Characters and the other open to Plot, but regardless of which view (of all three) I have selected (as indicated by the blue border), only the top-right view window updates upon pressing a navigation button.

Diagram

[ ][ _]

[ ][ ]

Upon quitting without saving and relaunching, bug appears to be fully reproduceable. Split view never has been one to behave though, has it? ;)

Hi SP,

Welcome back!

By the navigation buttons, do you mean the arrows, or the Manuscript/Plot/Character/Setting toolbar icons?

If you mean the toolbar icons, this is behaving as intended (and has been this way since version 1). The Manuscript button affects the left pane and the Plot, Character, and Settings buttons affect the right pane.

I'm happy to revisit this.

-Steve

Thanks Steve! Sorry, I was referring to the plot/character/settings buttons being used to control a given pane. In my situation, there are two horizontally equidistant right panes, because I split the primary window vertically, and the resultant new pane was split again horizontally, creating two "right" panes (for a total of three panes). Perhaps you never expected us to subdivide ad infinitum, though.

At present I am able to navigate any pane using the Project collapsable menu on the left, so no behavior is impossible in any pane, but it seems sort of counterintuitive to have the horizontal menu-bar buttons functional for a single pre-specified pane, when you can make a theoretically infinite number of panes and arrange them in any fashion you like.

On a slightly-related note, it's curious that clicking the header/navbar of a pane does not select that pane (you have to click inside the pane). Perhaps because it would be too easy to accidentally switch panes and become frustrated.

Archived