Storyist Forums

Help! Storyist file on Mac turns to XML after iPad Sync from Dropbox

Khelbiros

Hey there,

I usually write on the train on the iPad and tinker with the manuscript via Storyist on iMac. When I did a sync this morning from the iPad to the Mac via Dropbox, my file turned into a big clump of XML!

<?xml version="1.0" standalone="yes"?>

<office:document xmlns:office="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:office:1.0" xmlns:style="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:style:1.0" xmlns:text="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:text:1.0" xmlns:table="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:table:1.0" xmlns:draw="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:drawing:1.0" xmlns:fo="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:xsl-fo-compatible:1.0" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" xmlns:meta="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:meta:1.0" xmlns:svg="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:svg-compatible:1.0" xmlns:config="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:config:1.0" xmlns:st="http://storyist.com/odf/1.0/" office:version="1.0" office:mimetype="application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.text"> etc

Now Storyist on iPad can't read the file, and the Storyist for Mac just views it as a big list of XML. Does anyone know how to fix this? Or at least how to de-XML my draft so I can start working on it again?

Help appreciated!

Regards,

Belinda

Hey Belinda! I don't know anything about syncing or the iPad version, but I DO know that storyist keeps regular autosaves. I don't know if there's a better way to load the backup, but the files are physically located at ~/Library/Application Support/Storyist/Backup

You can get there with Shift + CMD+ G (or from Go [in finder] -> to folder).

At the very least, a backup from your last Mac work session should be there, so you can get back to work and shouldn't have lost too much. Figuring out the bug and preventing it from happening again is up to you and Steve, I'm afraid.

I know that the Storyist file is essentially a zipped folder that includes an XML file. From what I can remember, the XML file does (or at least used to) store the actual document text, so you should be able to comb through it and find whatever information was lost from your latest iPad edit.

Hi Belinda,

Now Storyist on iPad can't read the file, and the Storyist for Mac just views it as a big list of XML. Does anyone know how to fix this? Or at least how to de-XML my draft so I can start working on it again?

I can help with this.

The internal text representation uses XML and this is what you're seeing. Don't worry. No information was lost. I'll reply to the email you sent to support and we can figure out where the conflict is.

-Steve

Archived