Storyist Forums

Share-reuse story elements

Rob123xyz

I know I'm not the only one who works this way: develop a folder or several of character bios, setting notes, plot turning points, and so on and then use some on one story and save others for another or even a sequel to the first (or Webseries, for screenplays). I don't see a way with Storyist to use index cards anywhere but in the script they're attached to without retyping them. And I don't see how to incorporate things like slug lines or chapter headers from sheets into various projects. Is there a way to create an independent cache of elements and then pull them into a manuscript or screenplay and insert them in the proper place? Maintain them in one place and decide where to use them later?

Funnily enough I tried something similar the other day. Wanted to re-use most of what I'd written in a new draft after deciding I wasn't going to finish the one that I was on after I changed a large chuck of the script.

Copy/Paste didn't work, nor could I drag my scene sheets from one document window to another. I would also love to know if there was a way to do this, if not then this would make a nice feature request.

Simon

Just noticed your post was in the iPad forum while I was talking about the Mac version. But your question still stands.

Simon, do you mean that you want to drag the scenes themselves from their manuscript into a new one? You can't do that exact thing in the Mac version (it's been a feature request for a long time). But there are workarounds. What I do, because I keep deleted scenes in a backup manuscript until I'm sure I won't need them, goes something like this:

1. Add a new manuscript (I call mine Saved Text)

2. Inside Saved Text, add a scene. It will be called Untitled Scene. Leave the default title in place to save time.

3. Go to My Manuscript and click in the text of the scene you want to move. Hold down the Control key and click again. Choose Select Section from the contextual menu. Storyist selects the entire scene, including the # at the end.

4. Command- C or Edit > Copy to copy the entire selected scene.

5. Go to Saved Text, click in the text of the untitled scene you created and select the blank line and the #. Paste the scene you copied. The scene usually takes on the name that the old scene had. If not, rename it.

This works best for a few scenes. If you will have to copy a ton, I suggest saving the whole file as a copy and just removing the scenes you no longer want. Another way to share details among files is to save the file that has all the information as a template (File > Save as Template).

N.B. All these instructions refer to the Mac version! The iPad version is more limited in this regard, but it does read Mac-created files seamlessly. So as long as you have the Mac version to work with, the results will transfer to the iPad.

Rob mostly wants the ability to display scene/section sheets as index cards on the iPad, as you can in the Mac version. Then he can set up his project without worrying that if he decides he has a novel instead of a screenplay he will lose all his work.

Best,

M

Hi Marguerite,

Yes, it was dragging from one manuscript to another, or in my case one screenplay to another.

I was trying to figure out the best way to work with my new draft - if I created a new screenplay in a my current project then characters/plot points/locations would change and become disjointed to the original draft. If I duplicated the project file and call it my 2nd draft then I would end up doing lots of editing. I thought I could start a new project and drag over the bits I need from the 1st draft project to my 2nd draft project.

Didn't notice the Save as template option. Will investigate. Thanks

Simon

• 9 months later...

I just selected a scene in Project and tried to copy/paste. i.e. I tried to clone a scene several times, so I could distribute these cloned scenes a number of times throughout my script and then make changes to each of the cloned copies.

There does not seem to be any easy way to do this apart from going into Text Mode and manually copying/pasting scenes, which is quite cumbersome. (Of course, I am used to using outline mode in other programs (e.g. MSWord) where what I want to do is quite normal).

Intuitively, I would expect to be able to copy/paste any object in Storyist... :)

This would be a great feature and align intuitively with how many other word processor tools work. Just saying! :)

Brian

Archived