Storyist Forums

how to get max use out of Index cards and print

cjthe1writer

I've hit a bump on using index cards... for starters, won't give me the option to print. I had to do a screenshot and then print. Second, they don't seem to move around very easily. Third, I couldn't figure out how to put them on the virtual "corkboard." It seems that I've seen other programs that work more intuitively w/ index cards. Any hints/tips for the newbie?

Hi cjthe1writer,

Welcome to the forums.

I've hit a bump on using index cards... for starters, won't give me the option to print. I had to do a screenshot and then print.

The ability to print index cards is on the list for a future release. There is a thread in the feature requests section for this if you're interested. Note that you can export your index card data as RTF and OPML, and you can print that.

Second, they don't seem to move around very easily.

Could you tell me more about what you're seeing? Moving index cards should be as simple as dragging them to a new location on the storyboard. Note that for text files, index cards are linked to the corresponding sections of your manuscript, so moving the cards also changes the manuscript.

Third, I couldn't figure out how to put them on the virtual "corkboard."

One thing to keep in mind about index cards is that they are a visual representation of project items and manuscript sections. If you want to add an item to the cork board, you can either use the Add (+) button at the bottom of the cork board view, or add an item in the corresponding location in the project view.

If you're interested in adding items to a collage (that is, adding to a view with the gray background, not the corkboard background), you can simply drag the item from the Project view. When you do this, the items are added in their default representation, but you can display an item as an index card by right-clicking on the item and choosing Display Selection As > Index Card.

-Steve

Archived