Storyist Forums

Trying to understand the scope of styles

DangarStu

Hi there

I'm very new to Storyist, so apologies if this question shows my ignorance. I've imported my existing WIP into Storyist using the Novel template -- all well and good. Today though I tried to add a new Notebook to add some ideas that don't yet have a home and I noticed that it defaulted to a different font to the other notes. After a bit of poking around it seems that different elements within my project had a different set of styles available so I am just trying to get a better high-level understanding of how Styles are scoped within Storyist. In the end I duplicated an existing Notebook and deleted the content to get the styles I wanted, but I get the feeling this isn't the right way to go. The manual tells me a lot about using styles but not so back about the background information I feel I need to use them correctly. Any info along those lines would be greatly appreciated!

As a slight aside, are template just Storyist projects? Is it possible to dump all your currently used styles for those in another template?

Thanks,

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

After a bit of poking around it seems that different elements within my project had a different set of styles available so I am just trying to get a better high-level understanding of how Styles are scoped within Storyist. In the end I duplicated an existing Notebook and deleted the content to get the styles I wanted, but I get the feeling this isn't the right way to go.

Each text file has its own style sheet. The files in the Project menu (e.g. Novel Manuscript, Film Script, Notebook Entry) are set up with style sheets appropriate for their intended use. The styles are scoped to that document, so changing a style in one document does not change it in other documents.

As a slight aside, are template just Storyist projects?

Currently, templates are for projects, not individual files. If you want to save file templates, you could create a group (folder) in your project for the templates, populate it with the file templates you want to use, and duplicate them when you want a new file instead of creating them from the Project menu.

Is it possible to dump all your currently used styles for those in another template?

You can export files in the normal manner, and then import just the styles from the document using the Format > Style > Import Styles command.

-Steve

Archived