Storyist Forums

Using existing script. Am I expecting too much?

richardstephens

Hi. I have been using Storyist to rethink/rewrite an existing script of mine.

Now that I have come up with a new outline, I would like to import the old script to rework it in Storyist using my new ideas. But nothing I do seems to let me do that.

I have been able to import the script in txt form and I hoped that by using a split screen I could work copy parts of the old script into the new one. But that does not seem to be possible.

What I want to do actually is just copy scenes that I want to keep into the new version without having to retype it all.

Is this possible?

Thanks for any help.

Hi, Richard:

Welcome to the forums. Storyist can display two files at once in separate windows (not a split screen), and you can copy and paste from one to the other. Just open both files and arrange them on screen in whichever way makes it easiest to access them both.

Best,

Marguerite

Hi Richard,

Storyist can also display scripts in a split view. To do so, click the Workspaces and select "Side by Side Views."

You'll then have two independent views you can use to edit your scripts. The active view is indicated by a blue bar at the top of the view.

Also, depending on the format of your original script, there are easier ways to import your script than using plain text. Storyist imports Final Draft version 8 files and can also import Fountain files.

-Steve

Thank you both for your fast replies and solutions to my problem.

Marguerite's was the most helpful as I use Screenwriter 6 as my script-writing program of choice not Final Draft 8 (both of which I own). So what I do in the end is to open my Storyist version next to my Screenwriter script and work from one to the other. Copy/Paste does not work as when I copy a scene from SW and paste it into Storyist, Storyist changes everything to Scene Headings which is useless. But it is a big help at least for rewriting using the new ideas I worked out in Storyist.

The "Side by Side Views" I tried (after converting the script to FD8) but found it totally confusing and time consuming. Shifting from one side to the other was confusing as the shift does not reflect in the lefthand project column and I kept making so many mistakes that it was not worth it.

So, in the end, there does not seem to be any one program that does everything I would like it to. But Storyist is a great development tool and I am glad I discovered it.

Thanks again.

Archived