Storyist Forums

Importing and Section Views

Windlasher

Newbie here.

I just started using Storyist and have imported two chapters from word.

Somehow after some fiddling I got chapter one to import and it has section views under the chapter with the first line of text.

Chapter 2 has section views but they all simply say untitled.

1: Is there a way to import a word doc in so that it has this if the "#" character is already in the word doc or should I leave it out of the word doc and add it after import.

2: If I add them after import, is the section text automatically generated or is there some special way of making this happen.

Thanks

WL

Hi Windlasher,

The section titles in the outline view should default to "untitled" when you import a file. I'm guessing that the sections in your project view that now have the first line of text once had heading-level styles, which would have set the titles to the text of the first paragraph.

in general, section titles don't have corresponding text in your document. They're there to allow you to "tag" sections of body text.

-Steve

Hi Windlasher,

The section titles in the outline view should default to "untitled" when you import a file. I'm guessing that the sections in your project view that now have the first line of text once had heading-level styles, which would have set the titles to the text of the first paragraph.

in general, section titles don't have corresponding text in your document. They're there to allow you to "tag" sections of body text.

-Steve

OK - Thanks - Feature Request? It would be cool as an option so you didn't have to go in and edit them all manually. Would be especially great if someone were doing technical manuals where each section would more than likely be its own header.

Hi Windlasher,

If you want each section to have it's own header, you can just define a style with a heading level that is one greater than the enclosing header level and apply it to your title. Storyist will keep heading-level text in sync with the outline. Check out the Storyist project for the User's Guide, which has a multi-level outline, for an example.

-Steve

Hi Windlasher,

If you want each section to have it's own header, you can just define a style with a heading level that is one greater than the enclosing header level and apply it to your title. Storyist will keep heading-level text in sync with the outline. Check out the Storyist project for the User's Guide, which has a multi-level outline, for an example.

-Steve

Cool - I'll try that. Thanks

Archived