Storyist Forums

new user questions

Keybored

Greetings. I'm liking this software a good deal. It has the most useful features of its competitors, and has, thankfully, not copied their ugliness. Which is more important to me than it should be.

I've noticed some behaviors I find puzzling and assume I'm doing something odd. Working on iMac with 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and 10.5.2, I noticed that the highlighted page I'm currently on (in the Project Pane) does not update when I change pages. Secondly, I'm doing something wrong with the invaluable Wiki linking, because when I try to make a link to an existing Story Element, it makes a new Notebook page (and will, in fact, make a new Notebook page even if I already have a Notebook page with that very title). So it seems it's not "hearing" my titles except as strangeness, which I can only hope is not a comment upon the quality of my writing. Does anybody recognize what weirdness I'm committing?

Thanks....

What an interesting bunch writes in these forums!

Greetings. I'm liking this software a good deal. It has the most useful features of its competitors, and has, thankfully, not copied their ugliness. Which is more important to me than it should be.

I've noticed some behaviors I find puzzling and assume I'm doing something odd. Working on iMac with 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and 10.5.2, I noticed that the highlighted page I'm currently on (in the Project Pane) does not update when I change pages. Secondly, I'm doing something wrong with the invaluable Wiki linking, because when I try to make a link to an existing Story Element, it makes a new Notebook page (and will, in fact, make a new Notebook page even if I already have a Notebook page with that very title). So it seems it's not "hearing" my titles except as strangeness, which I can only hope is not a comment upon the quality of my writing. Does anybody recognize what weirdness I'm committing?

Thanks....

Dear Keybored (not a comment on your current project, I hope):

Welcome to the forums. To the great and undying angst of certain power users, the wiki links so far work only for notebook pages, although they should not create new pages if a page with the name already exists--that is probably a bug. Negotiations on how to improve the wiki links are underway in the "Feature Requests" section of the forums, so expect improvements soon.

Since I am still using the Tiger version of Storyist, I'll let someone else comment on the Project Pane's intractability. Condolences!

Best regards,

Marguerite

Hi Keybored,

Welcome to the forums!

Thanks for the kind words.

I've noticed some behaviors I find puzzling and assume I'm doing something odd. Working on iMac with 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and 10.5.2, I noticed that the highlighted page I'm currently on (in the Project Pane) does not update when I change pages.

The Project pane selection does not automatically follow the manuscript or storyboard selection (you'd very quickly end up with all of your project outline expanded), but you can manually update it by right clicking on some text and choosing "Reveal in Project Pane".

Secondly, I'm doing something wrong with the invaluable Wiki linking, because when I try to make a link to an existing Story Element, it makes a new Notebook page (and will, in fact, make a new Notebook page even if I already have a Notebook page with that very title). So it seems it's not "hearing" my titles except as strangeness, which I can only hope is not a comment upon the quality of my writing. Does anybody recognize what weirdness I'm committing?

Thanks....

I notice that Marguerite commented on this while I was typing, so ... what she said :huh:

You can, however, use the Edit > Insert Link menu command to insert links to characters and other story elements using the interface.

BTW, I was not able to reproduce the issue she alluded to. When I type the title of an existing note, I get a link to the existing note (which is the intended behavior). If this is not what you are seeing, I'd appreciate more info on how to reproduce this.

-Steve

Archived