Storyist Forums

needtowrite

I would like to remove a block of text and save it for a while. I certainly don't want to get rid of it forever because I may change my mind. What methods has the community found to safely and easily put aside blocks of text? (versions; note; folders or some other way?)

Where can I find SMART QUOTE explanation? Looked around Help and Getting Started and can't find anything helpful.

Stash away some text:

I add a new folder to a project and name it "Deleted Scenes", and then any time I pull one out I create a new text file (Notebook entry) and paste the text in it. Then if I ever want it back I can grab it. Part of clean-up at the end of the project is "harvesting" those bits for future reference.

I do the same, although I create new sections instead of Notebook Entries because it preserves the manuscript styles. You can also save a version and provide a comment that explains why, so you can distinguish that version from all the others. That's most useful in preparing to wreak havoc on an emerging draft or chapter. At the end of each full draft, I save a copy of the entire file under a new name, just in case. That's probably overkill since the introduction of versioning, though.

Smart quotes are governed by Edit > Substitutions > Smart Quotes. It should be checked if you want them and not if you don't.

And welcome to the forums!

Marguerite

P.S. This answer assumes you are using Storyist for Mac. Elsewhere you posted in Storyist for iPad, which has (somewhat) different features.

Archived