Storyist Forums

Pagination--Ughhh!

I have no idea how pagination works in the ios version. I know you can choose various styles to paginate with, but what each means is a mystery.

My real problem is that pagination that appears on the desktop version goes away in the ios version. In ios, dialogue gets separated from character across pages (in playwriting anyway) and dialogue gets split across pages.

My problem is that I use ios, not the desktop to write scripts. And I send scripts from within storyist. I am sending out scripts that aren't paginated correctly which makes me look very unprofessional.

How long until this is fixed?

Thanks.

Hi, Lawrence,

I have seen pagination change from the Mac to the iOS versions, but I use the iOS app only for correcting text after I've shut down my computer, so I can't help. For me it's not a problem because it goes back when I reopen the file on the Mac.

Have you tried adjusting margins? Or checking to see if Widow/Orphan protection is included in the latest iOS version? I think those are the most likely culprits for what's causing the discrepancy.

Steve will probably be around soon to respond.

Best,

Marguerite

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Lawrence,

Apologies for the delayed reply.

The iOS version doesn't yet support widows and orphan control, which is why a character name can end up at the bottom of a page with the next paragraph (the dialog) on the following page.

This feature is on the list for a future release, but I don't have a date for you. The widow and orphan processing takes quite a bit of processing power, and the original iPad Mini and some older phones are a little underpowered for the job.

-Steve

• 4 years later...

This is still an issue in Aug 2021. I have issues where a character name appears at the bottom of the page and yet the dialogue on the next. I have reproducible issues where Dialogue that has a parenthetical after line 1 pushes line 2 to the next page with no character name or CONT'D. I've even seen scene headers where the action line begins on the next page. Another no no. Seems to be wrong programmatically. I've tried playing with the widow/orphan control and the "keep with next paragraph" to no avail. Standard screenplay format never splits dialogue from the character name, nor does it split a second line of dialogue from a parenthetical without a character name. Seems to be a reproducible bug which renders the screenplay format unusable for me. Can this be fixed with a patch?

Screen Shot 2021-08-20 at 10.02.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-20 at 10.01.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-20 at 10.00.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-20 at 10.03.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-20 at 10.03.23 PM.png

Hi Writeman,

Does your Character style have the Character pagination setting? This enables the "Keep with next paragraph" setting automatically.

To check, just position the cursor in the character style and choose Format > Style > Edit Current Style.

-Steve

Screen Shot 2021-08-20 at 9.15.42 PM.png

Hi Writeman,

It's not uncommon for parentheticals to be pushed to the next page. Parentheticals (personal direction) don't need to follow the character element, and there can be multiple parentheticals per block of dialog. FWIW, Final Draft handles them the same way. See the attached screenshot (an excerpt from John August's excellent Big Fish).

It looks like you might be trying to add mores and continues (MORE and CONT'D). These aren't technically parentheticals even though they're enclosed in parenthesis. The best way to accomplish this would be to duplicate the parenthetical style and edit it so that the pagination is set to "Normal" and the left indent is set to the value you use for the Character style (2 in in the  template).

-Steve

Screen Shot 2021-08-25 at 2.33.02 PM.png