Storyist Forums

How long a ms is too long?

sallysaurus

Hiya. I'm noticing random delays in Storyist's response times as the length of my ms increases. Is there a top-end length for which Storyist was designed? I'd hate for something to explode after working on this book all year.

Thanks.

Sally

Hi Sally,

Are you seeing delays in typing or in saving?

If it is the latter, there is a version in testing that improves saves times for long manuscripts. If you'd like to try the test version, send me a PM and I'll forward the details.

If it is the former, we can certainly investigate further. Storyist should be able to handle even a relatively lengthy manuscript. As you might expect, performance is largely dependent on how fast your CPU is and how much memory you have.

-Steve

If it is the latter, there is a version in testing that improves saves times for long manuscripts. If you'd like to try the test version, send me a PM and I'll forward the details.

If it is the former, we can certainly investigate further. Storyist should be able to handle even a relatively lengthy manuscript. As you might expect, performance is largely dependent on how fast your CPU is and how much memory you have.

Seeing both kinds of delays, actually. But as I'm planning to replace my 4-year old, pre-Intel Mac before the end of the year, I'll see if the upgrade of hardware takes care of the typing delay. If not, I'll come back and post more scoop.

As for the speed of saving, the pinwheel delay only bothers me inasmuch as I get nervous thinking, is it gonna crash ala an MS product? I reckon I can wait for your next version release, but I thank you for the offer.

Sally

• 4 weeks later...
Seeing both kinds of delays, actually. But as I'm planning to replace my 4-year old, pre-Intel Mac before the end of the year, I'll see if the upgrade of hardware takes care of the typing delay. If not, I'll come back and post more scoop.

As for the speed of saving, the pinwheel delay only bothers me inasmuch as I get nervous thinking, is it gonna crash ala an MS product? I reckon I can wait for your next version release, but I thank you for the offer.

Sally

Hi Sally,

Version 1.5.2 is out and has some nice optimizations for saving large files. When you get a chance, check it out and let me know how it works.

-Steve

Hi Sally,

Version 1.5.2 is out and has some nice optimizations for saving large files. When you get a chance, check it out and let me know how it works.

-Steve

Thanks, Steve. I've got a new Mac and version 1.5.2 both. Now Save is really quick! But I'm having other weird behaviors I'd hope would disappear. Not sure how to describe this...

This happens when I'm Normal View mode, inserting or reviewing text (i.e. typing somewhere other than the end of the ms). The display does this MS-Word-like thing, where a line of text appears to repeat. If I use the arrow key to move my cursor down the screen, the display rights itself and I can go back to where I was.

Similar behavior when I click in the scroll bar to advance a page--sometimes, the display not only ignores the command, it'll mess with the appearance of the two text lines at the top of the current screen.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Sally

(BTW, I'd noticed the first of these behaviors even before upgrading. The second is either new or I'm just now discovering it.)

Thanks, Steve. I've got a new Mac and version 1.5.2 both. Now Save is really quick! But I'm having other weird behaviors I'd hope would disappear. Not sure how to describe this...

This happens when I'm Normal View mode, inserting or reviewing text (i.e. typing somewhere other than the end of the ms). The display does this MS-Word-like thing, where a line of text appears to repeat. If I use the arrow key to move my cursor down the screen, the display rights itself and I can go back to where I was.

Similar behavior when I click in the scroll bar to advance a page--sometimes, the display not only ignores the command, it'll mess with the appearance of the two text lines at the top of the current screen.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Sally

(BTW, I'd noticed the first of these behaviors even before upgrading. The second is either new or I'm just now discovering it.)

I'm experiencing delays still even with the newest version. I have a fairly new iMac, so I doubt it's a hardware issue. Mostly I notice that it spins when I switch to Storyist from another program. It always takes a few seconds for the cursor to stop spinning.

I'm experiencing delays still even with the newest version. I have a fairly new iMac, so I doubt it's a hardware issue. Mostly I notice that it spins when I switch to Storyist from another program. It always takes a few seconds for the cursor to stop spinning.

Hi Lisa. Thanks for the post.

Seeing a beach ball when switching applications usually means that the OS is saving the data (memory) used by the old app to disk and loading the data into memory for the new app.

Could you provide some additional details? It would be interesting to know:

1) What version of OS X are you running?

2) What Mac do you have using and how much memory?

3) What is the approximate word count of your manuscript?

4) How long has Storyist been open when you start seeing the spinning?

5) What application are you switching from?

If you're interested in poking around some, you can use Activity Monitor (/Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor) to watch the disk and memory activity when you switch and get an idea of how much memory each application is using.

-Steve

Could you provide some additional details? It would be interesting to know:

1) What version of OS X are you running?

2) What Mac do you have using and how much memory?

3) What is the approximate word count of your manuscript?

4) How long has Storyist been open when you start seeing the spinning?

5) What application are you switching from?

1) OS X 10.5.6

2) iMac 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2GB RAM

3) 95,000 words

4) It varies.

5) I'm switching from Word to Storyist (Office 2008, 12.1.3) -- I just ran software update and see there's a newer version so I'm updating that right now.

Thanks!

• 1 year later...
Hi Sally,

-Steve

Hi steve, I have a macbook with 2GB ram. The typing seems to slow down a lot in the program. I can type faster in this forum window and without any delay.

Something should be done to improve the speed of accepting one's typing input. I type about 40 words per minute and I am one of the slower typists out there.

Would you give some advice and or look into it for us please. I do have a 2 Ghz CPU and am running on 10.6.3 of snow leopard. I have one or two websites open but nothing else. I added a lot of pictures to my scenes and for the characters. Not sure if they are all being held in RAM, but the response time is getting slower and slower the larger my project gets. They typing has to be made faster please.

Hi steve, I have a macbook with 2GB ram. The typing seems to slow down a lot in the program. I can type faster in this forum window and without any delay.

Something should be done to improve the speed of accepting one's typing input. I type about 40 words per minute and I am one of the slower typists out there.

Would you give some advice and or look into it for us please. I do have a 2 Ghz CPU and am running on 10.6.3 of snow leopard. I have one or two websites open but nothing else. I added a lot of pictures to my scenes and for the characters. Not sure if they are all being held in RAM, but the response time is getting slower and slower the larger my project gets. They typing has to be made faster please.

Hi Emile,

The images aren't loaded into RAM until they are used. What macbook do you have (how fast is the CPU) and how large is your ms? Depending on the answer, you may see better performance using Normal view mode (View > Normal).

-Steve

Hi Emile,

The images aren't loaded into RAM until they are used. What macbook do you have (how fast is the CPU) and how large is your ms? Depending on the answer, you may see better performance using Normal view mode (View > Normal).

-Steve

Steve, (re sallysaurus post) this is the same kind of delay I mentioned in my August 26 post. I continued to have delays after that post. The file was 3.8 MG. I deleted all of the images, section sheets and scene sheets but the program would still freeze up (beach ball) for about 10 seconds when it did a periodic save, and when I did an intentional save, I had delays of up to 30 seconds. Before giving up on the program entirely, I did one more thing which was to Select All and Paste the text into a new Storyist File (Manuscript Only), then recreate the Character Sheets, Notebook Pages (Cut and Paste). I omitted the images entirely. The current file size is 246KB (about 50,000 words). I am not currently experiencing any delays in typing or saving. BTW, I tried exporting the file and importing it into a new file, but it only brought in 8 of the 50+ chapters. Hence, the cut and paste.

I'm certainly no expert on this program and may have made some mistakes, but this is frustrating. I had summaries for each of my section sheets which I lost when I had to recreate my manuscript, and because it's so time consuming, I didn't attempt to recreate those.

I am running Snow Leopard 10.6.4 on a Mac Book Air, 1.6 GHz processor, 2 MB RAM. The only open programs are Storyist and Dictionary, occasionally Safari. I generally work in "Normal View" mode. The earlier-mentioned delays occurred regardless of how long the program had been opened.

Thanks,

-TR

Hi TR,

Steve, (re sallysaurus post) this is the same kind of delay I mentioned in my August 26 post. I continued to have delays after that post. The file was 3.8 MG.

3.8 MB should be fine. I'd be happy to take a look at the file for you if you'd like.

Also, I'll try to get my hands on an Air to do some testing. 1.6 GHz is on the lower end of the range for Apple's CPUs and it could be that there is some Snow Leopard code path that is slower on these models.

EDIT: Does your Air have a disk drive or a solid state drive?

-Steve

Hi TR,

3.8 MB should be fine. I'd be happy to take a look at the file for you if you'd like.

Also, I'll try to get my hands on an Air to do some testing. 1.6 GHz is on the lower end of the range for Apple's CPUs and it could be that there is some Snow Leopard code path that is slower on these models.

EDIT: Does your Air have a disk drive or a solid state drive?

-Steve

Actually, I have no idea which it has (disk drive or SSD) and I don't know where to find that info in System Profiler. I'm not much of a Techie. But, I also back up my Storyist file to MobileMe, so I'll download the older 3.8 MB file on my MacBook Pro (which I believe is faster) to see if the file behaves the same way. I'm beginning to think my original file was corrupted in some way. So far there have been no delays on the new Storyist Manuscript I created.

-TR

Archived