Storyist Forums

Custom Field problem in Character Sheets

PrincessNat

This may be a user problem, as I've just started using Storyist, but I'm having a problem with the custom fields in Character Sheets. When I add a custom field, such as "Occupation," and then enter data in the field, for some reason Storyist makes the data itself a new character and creates a link to the character. For example, if I type "ATF Agent" as Occupation, it turns blue with an underline and "ATF Agent" appears as a new Character Sheet under Characters. Same thing happens when I add another custom field, "Nickname." Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong? Thanks for any help.

This may be a user problem, as I've just started using Storyist, but I'm having a problem with the custom fields in Character Sheets. When I add a custom field, such as "Occupation," and then enter data in the field, for some reason Storyist makes the data itself a new character and creates a link to the character. For example, if I type "ATF Agent" as Occupation, it turns blue with an underline and "ATF Agent" appears as a new Character Sheet under Characters. Same thing happens when I add another custom field, "Nickname." Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong? Thanks for any help.

Hi, Princess Nat! Welcome to the forums!

It sounds as if, when you defined your custom field, you set the type to "Character." It may seem logical to choose "Character" as the type for a character sheet, but when you do that, you tell Storyist that anything you enter in that custom field is a character's name (great when you want to link one character to another, not so great when you are trying to enter someone's occupation). If Storyist can't find the name in your list (because there is no such character), it behaves as you describe and "helpfully" creates a new character for you. Again, a big help if you're making up folks as you go, not so hot when you end up with a list of people called ATF Agent and Plumber. But poor Storyist is doing its best to be a good citizen! :huh:

You need to set the field type to "Text" to get the results you want.

Unfortunately, you can't (yet) delete or redefine a custom field ("Delete Field" only deletes the custom field from the current character sheet--it still exists as far as the program is concerned). So, for the moment, the solution is to define a new custom field called something like "Job" and set the type of that field to Text.

If this is clear as mud, send a personal message through the forums to our noble and long-suffering developer, Steve Shepard (user name Steve), and I'm sure he'll be glad to walk you through the process. Or just post back here, and we'll try again.

Best,

Marguerite

You need to set the field type to "Text" to get the results you want.

Unfortunately, you can't (yet) delete or redefine a custom field ("Delete Field" only deletes the custom field from the current character sheet--it still exists as far as the program is concerned). So, for the moment, the solution is to define a new custom field called something like "Job" and set the type of that field to Text.

Ah! Great, that works! (Happily, I had not yet saved, so I simply closed the project and reopened it, losing those fields in the process.) Thanks very much!

Archived