Storyist Forums

Spelling while typing not working

BobC

I haven't been using Storyist very long, so I may be missing something simple, but I can't get spelling while typing to work on Mac OS.  Works fine on IPad.  I've checked the menu items to turn it on, but nothing happens.  Spell check works okay otherwise, just not while typing.  Would love to hear any suggestions. 

Thanks

Hi Bob,

Do you have Spelling > Correct Spelling Automatically enabled in addition to Spelling > Check Spelling While Typing? If you're just looking to have the app add the red underlining to spelling errors, you'll want to turn off Check Spelling While Typing.

If that's not it, could you post a screenshot of the Keyboard > Text pane in the Preferences window?

-Steve

I've tried all the different  combinations under the edit menu, but none of them change the result .  Don't get red underling or automatic corrections.  This is all I could find in the preferences menu regarding text.  Not sure if it's right. 

Thanks,

Bob

menu.pdf

Hi Bob,

Apologies. The Keyboard > Text pane is in System Preferences. (Apple Menu > System Preferences). It looks like the attached image.

It would also be helpful to know what version of macOS you're running. 

-Steve

Screen Shot 2022-07-06 at 3.32.58 PM.png

Hi Bob,

I just switched back to a 12.4 machine, and am also seeing some weirdness. Storyist uses the built-in spell checker in macOS. It's the same one that TextEdit and other apps use. Here's a video from TextEdit.

I'm going to have to do some research to see what's going on, but unfortunately this is a macOS issue, not a Storyist issue.

Are you using an M1 Mac or an Intel Mac?

-Steve

• 2 months later...

FYI.  I've been using the Beta version of MacOS Ventura for a while, which I realize is not supported by Storyist yet.  Spelling while typing does work in Ventura.  A few things don't.  Creating or opening any type of Sheet causes a crash, as does attempting to change the writing goals from the editing screen.  So, some plusses and minuses.  So far everything else seems to work well.