Storyist Forums

Spelling while typing not working

Cristy D.

Hi Cristy,

Make sure "Check Spelling While Typing" is enabled in the Edit > Spelling menu.

If that's not it, please let me know a little more about your setup. It would be helpful to know:

• What language is set in the Keyboard > Text pane in your System Preferences. The default is Automatic by Language.
  • What version of MacOS you're running?

-Steve

Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 11.43.58 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 11.49.19 AM.png

Hi Cristy,

Thank you for the screenshots. I notice that you have "Correct Spelling Automatically" checked. Is automatic correction what isn't working, or are you not seeing misspelled words underlined correctly?

It would be helpful to see a sentence or two of what you're seeing in Storyist, and also see that same sentence in Text Edit. Storyist and Text Edit both use the spell checking system in macOS, so you should see the same result in both for the same Spelling menu settings.

Some things to try:

1. Temporarily turn off grammar checking. Apple has been experimenting with machine learning on Mac, and the results can sometimes affect spell checking results.
  2. If you've ever installed Grammarly Desktop for Mac, see Uninstalling “Grammarly for Mac” app breaks “Check Spelling While Typing”.

-Steve

Okay, 

It is going to be Grammarly for Mac. The date I installed it and the date the issue in Storyiist started was around the same time.

The thing is, I can't uninstall it; I need it for other programs. I do have it blocked for Storyist, but it must be somehow causing interference. However, just out of curiosity, have you ever contemplated joining up with ProWritingAid? 

I am a big fan of Storyist! I think I always will be. Primarily because it is the program that helped me start my adventures in writing whether my books ever get published or not! Writing my books suddenly became so easy compared to other programs. However, lately, I have been using Scrivener. I like Storyist better, and always will, but the possibility of having ProWritingAid in the program was very beneficial for my needs. So right now I float between both software.

Anyway, the problem is found! It is definitely Grammarly interference.

Thanks!

Cristy