Storyist Forums

iOS s 4.1 just lost 28 pages of manuscript!

luluaussi

Help! Just spent two hours copy editing, but would’ve been 162 pages or novel, renamed to update revision and 28 pages of novel disappeared can’t seem to restore. It looked in my iCloud drive looked on my iPad back up gone look in recent. don’t see an option to restore the latest version. When I look at my file, the only version that shows up with current timestamp is at 134 pages. What do I do?

Hi luluaussi,

Storyist periodically makes automatic backups of your project as you work. To see them:

1. Return to the Storyist home screen.
  2. Press and hold your project document until the context menu appears.
  3. Choose Versions.

This will show the version history of the file. Make sure that you're connected to the internet so Storyist can find both the versions on your iPad and those stored in iCloud. You can restore to a previous version from here.

image.png

If this doesn't resolve the issue, please send an email to support@storyist.com with the details. It would be helpful to know:

• What version of iOS you're running.
  • What model iPad you have.
  • How much free space you have on your iPad and in iCloud.

-Steve

Thanks, fortunately I cobbled together all but 3 pages from everywhere, but the kitchen sink. I’m on automatic backup with my cloud. This occurred when I was updated the version name on my ipad…and tethered to internet with my phone. Poof, when I changed name and 2 hours of copyediting gone….Didn’t know about holding down doc to get this screen. Thanks for that, couldn’t find answer in guide. I’m on an ipad pro and current in updates and plenty of space on both cloud and ipad.  

Toni

Hi Toni,

I'm glad you were able to reconstruct the document. If it helps, versions of the document from before your edits should also be available in the version history.

If you'd like to investigate further, let me know at the support address. It sounds like the issue occurred when you changed the name of the file (or perhaps the name of your iPad?) That's interesting. iCloud used to have version issues related to renaming, but I haven't seen them in a couple of years. I'll try some experiments here on iOS 17.3.

-Steve