Storyist Forums

How to set smart quotes?

rseybold

Hello Friends,

I'm new here and doing a review of the latest Storyist. I've got a new novel I'm working, so I'm trying to figure out my formatting so I can see my text as I expect.

How do you tell Storyist to make your quotes smart as you compose? I've been through every format menu selection and box I can find. Can't locate it yet. Everything is straight-quoted.

Thanks,

Ron Seybold

bitesofapple.com

Hello Friends,

I'm new here and doing a review of the latest Storyist. I've got a new novel I'm working, so I'm trying to figure out my formatting so I can see my text as I expect.

How do you tell Storyist to make your quotes smart as you compose? I've been through every format menu selection and box I can find. Can't locate it yet. Everything is straight-quoted.

Thanks,

Ron Seybold

bitesofapple.com

Hi Ron,

Welcome to the board!

To have Storyist automatically substitute smart quotes for straight quotes as you type, choose Edit > Substitutions > Smart Quotes.

If you want to convert a block of text (or the whole file) to smart quotes, select the text and choose Edit > Tools > Convert to Smart Quotes.

If you want to type in straight quotes for the manuscript (for the standard format), but have Storyist convert on export, run the Export Assistant when exporting and select the desired value from the quotes popup in the Change Typography step.

Note: On Leopard or later, you can search for menu commands in the Help menu. Storyist will list the hits in the menus and reveal the menu item when you select it.

And in case it helps: as of last weekend, the User's Guide is available online as HTML in addition to PDF.

-Steve

Archived