Storyist Forums

"Short Story" or "Misc" Template

Steakpirate

Heya folks. I wanted to note that one thing Storyist lacks to some degree, the ability to just sit down and start typing, without worrying about formatting or anything—like regular plain'ol word-processors.

It'd be nice to have a template with no real associated formatting, so that I can type up an MLA formatted story for Narrative Class, with the benefit of Storyist's character/plot/etc. managing tools.

As it stands, if I just want to start writing without any hassle, I end up typing my notes in Storyist, and creating a separate Pages document.

Thanks,

Hi SP.

A template with no formatting? Sounds like that would be pretty easy to create from any old template and save under a new template name. Just delete everything you find distracting and create a Note in Document, and Save As Template and you're done. Am I missing something?

- Thoth.

Hi SP.

A template with no formatting? Sounds like that would be pretty easy to create from any old template and save under a new template name. Just delete everything you find distracting and create a Note in Document, and Save As Template and you're done. Am I missing something?

- Thoth.

Well, I suppose, yes—but it's all about end experience and instant gratification. The more that comes standard, the less the user has to do. I've never screwed around with formatting, so it'll take a bit to figure out.

Ah. Instant gratification. One of my favorite things.

I need pie.

- Thoth.

I'm definitely confused today. What is the Blank Template, if not a template without formatting? True, it comes with a preset font (which you can change), but nothing else.

Pushing through the mist,

M

I'm definitely confused today. What is the Blank Template, if not a template without formatting? True, it comes with a preset font (which you can change), but nothing else.

Pushing through the mist,

M

I could be confused too, but I think Mr. Pirate is referring to the the fact that "Blank" is still basically the Novel template. In other words, its double spaced, Courier font, the included styles include stuff like the Chapter Title style, etc. I believe that the completely blank template in question would include a non-monospaced font (times new roman?), single spacing, and so on. I guess this would be the equivalent of "Normal" in Word or "Blank" in Pages.

At least, that's how I took it.

OTOH, I think a Short Story template that *did* include formatting would be a great idea. I also think a "Research" template would be a great idea. Maybe I'll work on those when I get some time...

Orren

I think SP means what Orren suggests. Which is why I said, "Just delete everything (in a template such as the Blank template) you find distracting...". Is that right SP? Or did you have something more specific in mind?

Orren, what do you think of the existing Short_Story template? How would you change the styles?

M, that's what you get for eating too many Overmuffins before bedtime, my little confusling.

- Thoth.

Unless my copy of Storyist is missing some templates, I don't have such a template. I only have the four in the attached screenshot below.

Sorry. My bad.

I thought Steve had put it in the folder. It turned out to be PJ's template from his Short Story Template thread. (Click here.)

I am the proud owner of 15 different Storyist templates. No brag. Just fact.

I am considering collecting them from all over the forum so you guys can download them at will.

(But I really see this as Steve's job since some are defective in the current Beta.)

- Thoth

It'd be nice to have a template with no real associated formatting, so that I can type up an MLA formatted story for Narrative Class, with the benefit of Storyist's character/plot/etc. managing tools.

The notebook entry style sheet has a body text style that is single spaced Helvetica, and two heading styles that are simply larger, bolded versions of the same...

-Steve

I thought Steve had put it in the folder. It turned out to be PJ's template from his Short Story Template thread. (Click here.)

Which folder is this? The Storyist 2.0 User Guide contains no reference to where to put template files.

Anyway, I checked out the Short Story template, and it seemed like a slightly modified Novel template. These days, many magazines accept submissions via email—in which case, double spacing might not be the best idea.

In general, I'd say that the fact we're in a state of flux regarding submissions (some agents/publications/publishers wanting very traditional paper submissions formatted traditionally, others wanting email or even web field submissions in a single spaced format) may be a very good reason to include another template, the "unformatted" template, in which nothing is formatted, and then allow the writer to Export/Print the document in the desired format (The Export assistant and saved workflows should be able to handle the final formatting).

Orren

Which folder is this? The Storyist 2.0 User Guide contains no reference to where to put template files.

Home>Library>Application Support>Storyist>Templates

Anyway, I checked out the Short Story template, and it seemed like a slightly modified Novel template. These days, many magazines accept submissions via email—in which case, double spacing might not be the best idea.

If you don't like the style, change it and save it under a different name.

In general, I'd say that the fact we're in a state of flux regarding submissions (some agents/publications/publishers wanting very traditional paper submissions formatted traditionally, others wanting email or even web field submissions in a single spaced format) may be a very good reason to include another template, the "unformatted" template, in which nothing is formatted, and then allow the writer to Export/Print the document in the desired format (The Export assistant and saved workflows should be able to handle the final formatting).

Sounds like a feature request.

- Thoth.

Sorry for the extended absence. I frequently get caught up in my school-work or lack thereof.

I could be confused too, but I think Mr. Pirate is referring to the the fact that "Blank" is still basically the Novel template. In other words, its double spaced, Courier font, the included styles include stuff like the Chapter Title style, etc. I believe that the completely blank template in question would include a non-monospaced font (times new roman?), single spacing, and so on. I guess this would be the equivalent of "Normal" in Word or "Blank" in Pages.

That's precisely what I meant—I want a template that makes MS word users feel at home. The problem with this, is they'll never use another template, and will totally miss the point of the program.

I'd try and figure it out on my own, but generally speaking, the only times I've thought about it recently are the times I've needed to write something. Depending on the project, I'll often draft it in pages and use storyist as an organizer, especially if it's a MLA short for class.

Re: Thoth, is there an easy way to suck down the style of the notes page and apply it to the Manuscript? I tried creating a Note in the place of my manuscript, but was bothered by the fact that the "deleted" manuscript seemed to still exist (and was selectable via the project dropdown list), and that the image was the notes image. (Yes, yes, OCD Much?)

Sorry for the extended absence. I frequently get caught up in my school-work or lack thereof.

Hi SP. Nice to have you back. (School work? I thought you were paying them.)

Re: Thoth, is there an easy way to suck down the style of the notes page and apply it to the Manuscript? I tried creating a Note in the place of my manuscript, but was bothered by the fact that the "deleted" manuscript seemed to still exist (and was selectable via the project dropdown list), and that the image was the notes image. (Yes, yes, OCD Much?)

I don't know if there is an easy way but you could just put your cursor in the text, Select All, choose Default Style from the placard menu at the bottom of the screen, and Save. I don't really see this as a better way to go but to each his own. Please continue to explore. If you find a format or technique or methodology you really like then share. I'm sure some of the other people on the forum will like it too.

Compulsively checking forum. (It's a rare form of OCD.)

- Thoth.

Hi SP,

Re: Thoth, is there an easy way to suck down the style of the notes page and apply it to the Manuscript?

Try this:

1) Save a notes file as an RTF file.

2) Switch to your manuscript.

3) Choose Format > Style > Import Styles and select the RTF file

I tried creating a Note in the place of my manuscript, but was bothered by the fact that the "deleted" manuscript seemed to still exist (and was selectable via the project dropdown list),

The built-in file templates are always available in the Project drop down. Are you saying it still existed in another place too.

and that the image was the notes image. (Yes, yes, OCD Much?)

I've got it on my list to add the ability for writers to change item icons. Among other things, it would be nice for genre icons.

-Steve

I've got it on my list to add the ability for writers to change item icons. Among other things, it would be nice for genre icons.

Oh yeah! I want to give my vampire urban fantasy novel manuscript files fangs! :)

Orren

Archived