Storyist Forums

Active Live Links in Outline view

orrenm

Hi Steve,

Here's something I thought would be possible, but it's not. So I guess it would be a feature request. :lol:

Check out the screenshot below. The main editing window is my story. For this story, I did a bunch of research, and those links I found most useful I dragged from the Safari URL bar to the Storyist Corkboard window on pane 3, which created each link as a new index card on the corkboard. The result was that I have pane 3 filled with Notebook Entries, each one a separate link. I have put it into outline view, so I can see them all.

Now, what I wanted is for all these links to be live, so I could just click them and automatically open a Safari tab to that URL. So I'd select the link, right-click, and choose "Make Link." Only, as you can see in the screenshot, the links are not live, even after that. I can select the link and choose Open URL (which works) but I can't make the link live, no matter what I try. (Even when each link is a separate Index card, they are still not live links.

Now, it's possible that there is a workflow that I've missed that will allow me to have pane 3 filled with my live research links—if there is, please let me know! But from a speed-and-intuitiveness point of view, the most easy peasy workflow would be:

1) Drag link from Safari to Storyist pane 3

2) It automatically populates as a live link in Outline view.

Why outline view? Because it allows you to get more links on a page than Index card or single entry view.

The above would be ideal. But I would also be happy with:

1) Drag Link from Safari to Storyist pane 3

2) It populates an index card.

3) I select the link and choose "Make Link" in the context menu, which makes the URL into a live link

4) I change the view to outline so I can have all my live research links available.

Even though this is twice as long, this is still fine because it's a "set up and it's done" type of thing.

BTW, what I *don't* need is a web browser within Storyist. I'm perfectly happy switching to Safari. There's not enough room in Storyist to give me the sort of browser experience I want when browsing. But I really want an intuitive drag-and-drop live link solution.

Thanks!

Orren

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Steve,

Here's something I thought would be possible, but it's not. So I guess it would be a feature request. :P

Check out the screenshot below. The main editing window is my story. For this story, I did a bunch of research, and those links I found most useful I dragged from the Safari URL bar to the Storyist Corkboard window on pane 3, which created each link as a new index card on the corkboard. The result was that I have pane 3 filled with Notebook Entries, each one a separate link. I have put it into outline view, so I can see them all.

Now, what I wanted is for all these links to be live, so I could just click them and automatically open a Safari tab to that URL. So I'd select the link, right-click, and choose "Make Link." Only, as you can see in the screenshot, the links are not live, even after that. I can select the link and choose Open URL (which works) but I can't make the link live, no matter what I try. (Even when each link is a separate Index card, they are still not live links.

Now, it's possible that there is a workflow that I've missed that will allow me to have pane 3 filled with my live research links—if there is, please let me know! But from a speed-and-intuitiveness point of view, the most easy peasy workflow would be:

1) Drag link from Safari to Storyist pane 3

2) It automatically populates as a live link in Outline view.

Why outline view? Because it allows you to get more links on a page than Index card or single entry view.

The above would be ideal. But I would also be happy with:

1) Drag Link from Safari to Storyist pane 3

2) It populates an index card.

3) I select the link and choose "Make Link" in the context menu, which makes the URL into a live link

4) I change the view to outline so I can have all my live research links available.

Even though this is twice as long, this is still fine because it's a "set up and it's done" type of thing.

BTW, what I *don't* need is a web browser within Storyist. I'm perfectly happy switching to Safari. There's not enough room in Storyist to give me the sort of browser experience I want when browsing. But I really want an intuitive drag-and-drop live link solution.

Thanks!

Orren

Hi Orren,

You haven't missed anything. The summary fields in the outline view are plain text at the moment, so you can't add links or formatting.

It sould be a nice addition, though. Thank you for the use case and the screen shot. You're a feature request pro.

-Steve

Archived